Floating hardwood over ceramic tile

My husband and I are considering buying a house that has the same 12x12 textured ceramic tile throughout the entire house. This tile isn't terrible, but it's a dark orangey brown that's kind of overwhelming in such mass quantities.

We're kicking around the idea of installing floating bamboo "hardwood" floors over the tile in a few rooms. It just seems like a waste to tear all the tile out if we don't really need to; maybe the next owners will want to take it back down to the tile, who knows?

Googling has produced contradictory results. Some sources say it would be fine as long as the tile is flat enough (and what is flat enough?) The floors look level, but the tiles are textured around the edges... they look like they're supposed to have been chipped out of stone by hand, or something.

If the tiles are more uneven than would be optimal, would a double layer of foam underlayment help prevent problems?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

I would bite the bullet and remove the old tile. dont expect the foam to do much of anything but isolate the 2 surfaces, the rough edges in tile will wear out the foam fast, and cause troubles. with the bamboo not free to move as a unit it could buckle

Reply to
hallerb

Start the demo process. Do you like speedbumps??? If you just put something on top of another floor you will be raising the floor most likely about an inch.

To make things right, take out the old floor and do it right.

Reply to
BocesLib

I agree that going over the tile will be a bad idea. Transitions will be a pain as well as you will have some spring in the floor. (I assume here we are talking about a floating floor). If your tile is installed on concrete it will be a real pain to get up and leave a flat surface to put the bamboo on.

Have you considered area rugs?

Reply to
No

I have... I'd be fine with area rugs, actually, but my husband really wants hardwoods.

We wouldn't actually have to worry about transitions; the house has a funny layout; it's a tri-level, and we'd want the hardwood throughout the whole middle level.

I'm actually not trying to be lazy about it, I just know that the previous owner put a lot of money and effort into this tile; it's pretty unique and rather cool, and I have yet to stay in a house for more than 5 years, so I am always thinking of the next owner, who might hate bamboo and adore the funky tile :)

Ah well, it was just a thought. Thank you all for your advice.

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer