Flies

Before they are maggots, they are eggs, almost microscopic in size. You can track them in on your shoes. In any case, hang a few rolls of fly paper from your porch ceiling and don't worry about it. At least you're not afflicted with an infestation of termites, stinging insects, or other far more bothersome critters!

Reply to
Peter

How do fruit flies reproduce? :-)

Reply to
willshak

Houseflies are of the order Diptera, and Diptera can tolerate freezing. In Vermont, snow would slide off the slate roof of the church and pile up all winter. On the first warm day, thousands of flies would emerge as the snow banks melted. On an autumn evening, I suppose they would crawl under a warm slate, then hybernate, then freeze, then be pulled of by sliding snow, frozen but alive.

I sometimes get flies in my house in winter. I believe they crawl into a warm exterior crack as winter comes and eventually find their way into the house.

Reply to
J Burns

Yellow jackets, and lots of insects seem to be a little smarter than us. Or at least their sense of smell is more sophisticated then ours. You won't find a yellow jacket in a can of DIET soda. They don't smell sugar and keep on going. That should tell us something.

Reply to
Tony

It tells us that there is no food value in diet soda, something most of us already know.

Reply to
keith