Fix or Replace? water heater - how old is it?

I'm trying to figure out if I should replace the element or replace the whole thing. Don't know how old it is. House was built in 1983. It's a:

Rheem, m# 62v-52s, s# 0783810708

Reply to
Robert Worcester

Ser # says it as old as the house. It will be a qtr-century old soon...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Where do you live, what is your Kwh cost, Im Midwest near Chgo. We pay nearly 3 times the price per BTU for electric than gas. I replaced a electric tank with gas tankless, I reduced costs 75%. Of course you have other factors and may not have Ng, but if it doesnt leak, Fix it, unless it is real old

Reply to
m Ransley

I don't know the specifics of your WH but the replacement element should cost about $20. Some require a special socket wrench (about $10/15). It would take MUCH less than 1 hour to drain, replace the element, and re-fill.

Unless you electric tank has a leak, the new element will make it nearly "good as new."

I would spend the money on the chance that it would get the WH back on line.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thanks Jim, I'm going to take your advice. Robert

Reply to
Robert Worcester

Wow, I'll remember to check on gas availability next time I buy a house.

Reply to
Robert Worcester