First Caulking a Mess

OK, I've been caulking things for over 20 yrs (glass business) it takes a LOT of practice to be able to run a nice bead.

I've seen a few posts that tell you to practice running beads, but that is a waste of caulk which is going to cost you even more money.

If you have at least a halfway decent caulking gun, I would recommend using tape as others have pointed out (you can use cheap masking tape btw instead of that expensive blue painters tape) and getting one of those finishing tools from Home Depot like this one

Believe or not, not only is running a good bead an "art form" but so is using a finger with spit to smooth it. It takes a lot of practice / experience.

Reply to
Ron

BTW, make sure EVERY time that you stop and lift the gun, to wipe the nozzle clean with a paper towel or rag before starting again.

Reply to
Ron

$3-$4 for a tube of caulk? One can waste it practicing or waste it gumming up a bath surround :o) It's just about impossible to guage the size of the tip, speed of movement and evenness of the bead without trying it out. I practiced on a bathtub three times until I got the hang of it :o)

Could just fold a piece of corrugated cardboard into a a right angle to use as a joint to practice caulking on.

I agree, and you have got to keep a wet rag handy to clean fingers.

Reply to
norminn

But, if he buys the tool that was recommended for what, $2, and uses tape he'll be done with it.

I had plenty of practice back in the early 80s because my boss made me practice. Took 2 pieces of glass and taped them together at a 90 degree angle. Run a "bead" (lol) scrape it off with a single edge razor, and run another one. Not that big of a deal when you are working for a company that is paying about 50 cents (if not less) for a tube of silicone.

Reply to
Ron

Unless you plan on doing a LOT of caulking, you don't need to spend money (about $20.00) on a caulking gun with a "swiveling barrel".

A decent caulking gun such as this works just fine.

I used to use the one in the above picture and it is now buried somewhere in my garage.

These are what I use now.....the top pic is battery powered and the one below has a rotating barrel.

Ron

There are preparatory classes, and then when you're physically and spiritually ready, you intervieew with the priest. And then you can have your First Caulking, and take the squeezegun and tube. It sounds like you just weren't ready for your First Caulking.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My first caulking left a mess all over also. Good thing she understood....

Reply to
badgolferman