Fireplace options and cold house

I have a house about 6 years old. I have an insert with a chimney and everything in my living room. Because the living room side of my house is so open, it gets kind of cold at this end of the house compared to the bedrooms. (House is about 1500 sq feet). I have propane and have thought about gas logs but I am afraid it will ise too much gas and be expensive. I have also thought about burning wood in the insert.

What would you suggest? Would it be possible to take the insert out and put a wood burning stove in? Would this be expensive?

Also are those electric log sets with the ceramic heaters any good? Would this warm up my living room?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Reply to
Don