finishing a basement ceiling

So SWMBO wants part of the basement drywalled.

I'm not sure how to handle the ceiling. I would like to glue & screw drywall right to the bottom of the joists to try and help stiffen the floor/trampoline above (2x8s, 12" O.C., ~14' span). My concern is that the drywall combined with the plywood and oak flooring above will act as a drum and make my noisy house even noiser.

I've briefly read about the metal rails you can screw to the joists to help cut down on sound transmission but I doubt they would provide much in the way of stiffening the joists.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I don't think drywall will stiffen anything that much either. Sistering the joists might help, or bolting steel to them.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I can't say about the rest of the house, but it will be resonating in the basement. If it were mine, I would use acoustical tiles. They dampen noise and allow access to any plumbing or electrical run in the area between the floor joists.

Reply to
Ken

Drywall isn't going to do anything material to keep the joists from flexing. And if they do flex, the drywall joints may crack. If there is room, I'd go with a suspended ceiling so there is easy access for future repairs, running new cable, etc.

Reply to
trader4

address tghe structural issue FIRST.

I would get a engineer to look at why the bounce.

Drywall wouldnt do anything to help:(

Once the bounce is gone you can foam or use acoustical insulation with sound deadening drywall susspended on the track system.

But fix the structure FIRST!

Reply to
bob haller

One should figure out how to stiffen. I pushed up some joists nailing

5/8 OSB plywood cut to size, on one side. Then for soundproofing, use Safe&Sound, firestop and sound mineral insulation. Sound deadening requires a thick mass.

Greg

Reply to
zek