Finished Closet Ring Height

Putting down tile in a bathroom among other places. Have to raise the ring. When a closet ring is just installed normally, it naturally sits up a bit off the finished floor by design.

So when you raise a ring does it need to sit that same natural amount above the tile or is flush with the tile fine?

The reason I ask is Sioux Chief who manufactures DWV stuff states:

"Build up existing flange when added subfloor, tile, etc. leaves flange at or below floor level"

Pretty sure this question came up recently but don't recall the replies.

Reply to
Red Green

I've never seen that. The flange is screwed/bolted to the floor. There's no space under the flange or it would be flexing every time someone sat down for a read.

The flange is supposed to sit tight to the tile/finished floor. I'm not sure where you got another idea. Here's some reading:

RicodJour

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the reply RicodJour. I didn't convey my question very well. Not that my artwork skills are any better but:

If you look at the 2nd & 3rd sketch you'll see in "A" the BOTTOM of the ring sits at tile height. In "B" the TOP of the ring sits at tile height.

Does it matter?

If I do B it will require one less spacer. The way I look at it the less joints (even with silicone between them) the less chance of problems.

Another hair-brained thought that came to me is instead of using spacers I could make a plywood ring the thickness of the cement board & tile and use construction adhesive to mount to the subfloor.

Reply to
Red Green

- snipped-for-privacy@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Many toilet flanges will have enough play to allow them to be lifted and the backerboard and tile installed under the ring. When cutting the tile leave space where the screws need to go through. If there is not enough play then you need to add a spacer on top of the existing flange. One spacer is enough for 1/2" backer and tile.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The ring sits on the floor. When tiling a floor that had vinyl I left the ring alone and jsut built up the floor (backer + tile) around it. They make extension rings that screw down to the base ring, or you can simply use a thicker wax ring. I use the ones with the plastic "funnel" piece. It's better to have the ring on the surface, but having the flange 3/4" below the finished surface isn't going to hurt anything. Too low is *certainly* better than too high.

The bottom of the ring should sit at or blow the finished surface. You don't want the commode rocking on the flange.

Reply to
keith