Finding handyman?

My health is currently not up to doing much of anything. I need an interior door in a rental repaired, at a reasonable price, so it will close properly. The only two local handymen that advertise were not satisfactory in the past. Another coudn't fix it. Another never called back. Can't get Angie's list to work - keeps putting me on a non-free list. Tried unsuccessfully searching Google for handyman reviews.

Any suggestions>?

TIA

Reply to
KenK

Maybe advertising on Creigs list in the Wanted area or looking at Home Advisor.com.

Maybe calling Lowes or Home Depot and talking with someone in the door department to see who does their door installing.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Is the tenant on death's door also ? Perhaps, with your friendly supervision and encouragement -

- the two of you can get 'er done ? It takes about 5 minutes to remove / install the door ; and maybe 10 minutes to sand down the high spot .. A professional will not get into his truck for this job. ... beware of the guy who will ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Those are the cases where it pays to know people. I had a piece of aluminum flashing blow off the eve of my house. I don't have a ladder tall enough for the job and don't climb very tall extention ladders either. Fellow I worked with does odd jobs ,so had him to come out and do the job. He gave me a low price, and I just upped it to $ 50. Only took him less than 1/2 of an hour to do the job. I have had him to do several jobs, two were around $ 5000 each, so he did two very small jobs for me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

KenK posted for all of us...

Presuming you did this work before and purchased doors or other services I would reach out to those contacts and ask. Maybe at this stage in life it's time to find a property management co.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I guess you mean that you own the rental property. If so, that's going to be an ongoing problem since you health is causing you problems and you will certainly need to have other work done when tenants call about more issues.

Depending on where you are located, you may be able to find a local real estate investor group to join in your area. I belong to two of them in my area. Most of them have online discussion forums where the members can share ideas and share who they use for various kinds of construction, repairs, maintenance issues etc. You can try searching here for a group:

Also, doors can be tricky -- sometimes an easy fix and sometimes they can be a pain, especially old doors. So, the fact that one of the people you tried couldn't fix it makes me think it may be one of the situations that is not easily solved (or at least not for a very low price).

The person that I use for work like that works for himself and I pay him $30 per hour plus materials. That's not a high rate, but it is also not ridiculously low like some people want to pay. For a small job, I assume that I will be paying for his time on site as well as time needed to go buy parts etc, and maybe even time to get to the job. I do it by the hour because that seems the most fair to both of us, and he is always honest about his hours. And, by doing it by the hour, he knows that when I have other jobs, he will get paid for his time.

Good luck.

P.S. If you are willing to give a town and state location, someone here may actually know someone in that area who can help.

Reply to
TomR

Do you have

on your area? If so, try asking there

Reply to
ChairMan

Yup, found many a husband/small business guys that are more than willing and able to make few bucks on the side

Reply to
ChairMan

I have a local community group on Facebook, with posts, refferels, comments from locals. A great asset.

Greg

Reply to
gregz