Filling up space around electrical conduit

I live in an attached brick house. My garage is in the first floor of the house. I needed some outlets in the home office room that is adjacent to the garage, so I ran EMT conduit on the garage side of the (cinder block) wall and then drilled through the wall for each outlet on the other side.

This has left some crevices for air to pass through. It isn't really a big deal, but I do keep a car in the garage. I was wondering if any of the expanding foam products would be OK to fill the holes. I'm guessing that at least a little of it might be able to get into the electrical box, through some unused mounting holes. Is this a problem?

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg G

Well, the stuff is flammable, it might not be a problem but why not use a product that wouldn't have the concern? Like caulk. How much or a gap is there?

RicodJour

Wouldn't code require fire separation? TB

Reply to
tbasc

At the very least he just punched holes in a firewall. Fire sealing would be appropiate.

Reply to
SQLit

Hi, I'd pack it with fiberglass insulation.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can buy a product at Home Depot in the electrical section or at an electrical supply house called "Duct Seal". Use it to fill the holes penetrating the wall. You should also use it inside any of the conduit that passes through the wall. It is a putty like substance that will not cause any harm to the wires. If you knead it a little it becomes more pliable.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Not a concern with this stuff

Edwin Pawlowski