faucet/sink quality

RE: an electrician once told me that circuit breakers from Lowes/Hd are lower quality than what he provides.

On one hand, it does seem possible that there are quality differences, but the skeptic in me keeps wondering if this isn't just a gimmick that all trades people come up with to sell you their stuff? They must make a profit in there somewhere when they buy from plumbing/ electrical supply places and sell to customers at list price.

Reply to
DLK

Check out the Kohler web site for detailed info on sinks and faucets. They list the guage of the sinks, which is vital for a good installation, because for example, the better ones don't allow the faucets to wobble. Another nice thing about Kohler is their fabulous customer service. If you don't like the idea of doing it all over every few years, IMO Kohler is the way to go. FWIW, I have bought their products at the box stores and a local plumbing warehouse and noted absolutely no difference. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

It is a fact that manufacturers do produce special (often cost reduced) products for major retailers.

In my experience, they ALWAYS change the model number. And frquently the brand/label. Aside from damage to reputation there are often other practical issues -- service, spares and the fact that warranty terms and/or procedures are often different. Not to mention the fact that the maker would have one hell of a time managing their finished goods inventory.

I'd be very suprised indeed to find different products with EXACTLY the same product number. I do know of cases where the difference may be as small as a single letter or digit suffix -- but there is a difference.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

This is all very informative. I suppose one must look at the exact model number when making these decisions to make valid comparisions, rather than just the name of the model.

BTW: the Kohler website info was very helpful. Thanks!

Reply to
DLK

I found the Moen site to be a frustrating pain in the ass. I ended up going to a store for a catalog. There were things in the catalog that were buried

83 links deep on the web site. If you don't see something you like, get a catalog.
Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I noticed that once in Home Depot. I looked closely at the each set of breakers and the higher priced model was approved for universal mounting. You can tell by the slot in the back.

Reply to
John Grabowski

On this theme... when I was shopping for a new sink, I found that:

  • Home Depot offered a *much* wider choice than Lowes.
  • Home Depot had really good prices on a handful of Kohler sinks. I do believe these were standard Kohler products and not HD specials.
  • Other Kohler models were relatively expensive at HD.
  • Kohler have a really wide choice of geometries, sizes, mountings etc. Hardly anyone else was offering exactly what I wanted so going with Kohler was pretty much a no-brainer for me.

I took a chance and ordered a Kohler from some discount place on the opposite side of the country. It took

3-4 weeks before I received the thing but it arrived in perfect condition. The shipping delay was not a problem for me -- it still arrived well before scheduled installation. But it could have been. At the end of the day, I saved two or three hundred bucks on a high quality sink that has worked out great!

The granite guys installed/mounted the sink but I did all of the plumbing work and the disposal. With some very careful planning that was a breeze. The granite guys cleared out in the early evening and the plumbing was finished before I went to bed. Sink, faucet, disposal, dishwasher, air gap, soap dispenser and the whole nine yards. Even cleaned everything up. That was 6 months ago and no leaks or problems yet ;-)

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar