Fan duration to determine when to change filter

I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature. You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

Reply to
Chicago Bob

All you need to do is keep track of the fan hours while checking the filter every now and then. Once you notice that it needs to be changed, you'll know how many hours of fan operation it takes. From then on, all you need to do is keep the amount of dust in your house exactly the same over those hours of operation and you can change the filter based on run time.

Good luck with that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You never turn the fan on for like circulating air or freshen up the stale indoor air specially when cooking, etc.? Filter gets dirty not only depending on how long fan ran, it also depend how much dust is generated indoor if there is pets, plants... I'd think under replacing it may be a bad idea. I'd rather over replace. My filter size is

16x25x5. I replace twice a year. They don't look too bad when pulled. But It gives me peace of mind. Programmable saves energy depending on how you use it. I use it in my house and out at cabin.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Chicago Bob" wrote in message news:db98c$564918c1$cf3aab60$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

You need to put a run time meter on the fan motor.

Get one like this from China. I have ordered several items from China and it usually takes 2 to 3 weeks. They all have worked fine.

Ebay number:

111229090029
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

With just me and the wife at home and no pets and we keep the windows closed there is not much dust and dirt. I use the least expensive 20x20x1 filters and change them every 2 months on my heat pump. Most of the time they seem to be just about as clean as the new ones. At less than $ 10 per year it is not worth me worring about. Just change them on the odd numbered months at the first of the month. Some months it runs a lot and some not too much, but I just keep on schedule. Not worth the trouble to keep up with how dirty they get.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

What purpose will a run time meter serve, other than recording the run time?

His goal is not attainable unless he can keep the amount of dust being trapped by the filter constant over any given fan run time. That ain't going to happen.

Methinks he knows that. He's just being silly.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't know what his goal is, he said "All I want is to know how

So with that I gave him a place to get a 120 volt run time meter.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

How many "fan hours" do you consider significant? For an arbitrary (and possibly seasonally variable) figure, you could buy an elapsed time meter and wire it in parallel with your fan motor. Or, you can buy a cheap clock (with date indication) and use that (i.e., change it when N days have elapsed since the date displayed on the previous change -- I suspect if you're off by a few fan-hours it's not going to matter to you!)

Reply to
Don Y

Fan run time is only one factor. There are other fctors like type of floor in the house, pets, palnts, new or old house, etc. I just replace twice a year.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Does that not tell you that his goal is to change the filter based on fan run time?

I'm sure you know that that is a not the best way to determine when to change the filter.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Really? Then how come most topics in this NG drag out SO LONG wasting time and band width? There are many with simple mind and tunnel vision.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In my opinion, fan run time isn't even a factor. Taken to the farthest extreme, in a 100% dust free environment, the fan could run forever and the filter would never need to be changed.

Those are the factors that matter.

Since that works for you, it's perfect. I use a reusable filter and my fan runs 24 x 7, so it needs to be "changed" more often. I also have a dog and cat. I take the filter out at least once a month and use my electric leaf blower to blow the dust out in a "reverse air flow" manner.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If I want to use reusable I throw in electronic cleaner elements. I can just wash them in the DW. Filter box is perfect for E. cleaner or

25x16x5 pleated cartridge. Just two of us and large dog. Last cat died from natural cause. Decided not to have another cat who may outlive us.
Reply to
Tony Hwang

I know a heating cycle run time can be recorded on some thermostats. Run time meter sounds like a winner. I have a vacuum gauge on my system, but I sully go by head calculation, or just look at filter. I used to ave one of those whistlers long ago, when too much vacuum occurred.

What troubles me, I heard this whistling the other morning. Me and cats were disturbed. Never heard that. Sounded like coming from attic. I better check radon fan in attic.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I see your point, but the OP isn't the only one that thinks fan run time is relevant. I've seen thermostats from major manufacturers that have a filter indicator that goes on based on hours of fan run time. I've never bothered with it though. Like you, I just check and/or change based on length of use and past experience.

Reply to
trader_4

The programmable thermostat is meant for someone who leaves the house empty when he goes to work, and/or who wants to save on heat or AC when he's sleeping. In order to save money and conserve fuel.

I like your idea but I'd make it even simpler than this. Just keep track of the weeks or months while checking the filter every now and then.

Once you notice it needs to be changed, you'll know how many months of operation it takes.

I think you were sarcastic here, but I still like your idea.

Reply to
Micky

I'm one who thinks run time is a useful measurement. It gives you the best indication whether your equipment is sized properly, and that will let you be sure of the right size when it comes time to replace.

I'm not sure how useful it is for filter replacement. I do that by listeni ng to the air flow across the filter - when it starts to get a bit louder I replace. When my hearing fades (I'm getting up there in age) I'll just st art changing every two months again.

Reply to
TimR

The entire post was sarcastic. The idea behind "keeping the dust constant" has to start with knowing how many hours of time it takes before the filter needs changing - at that dust level. That is why my process was posted as a single paragraph. You can't do one without the other.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I don't need a complex programmable thermostat. All I want is to know how many hours that fan has run so I know when to change the air filter. The fan runs frequently in the summer and winter, but very infrequently in the spring and fall. How often the fan runs is determined by temperature. You can go weeks - or months - without the fan running at all.

I do not want hard on for 4 hours I will be happy for half hour!?!?

Reply to
tony944

Why does evenything have to be high-tech?

Most people just change their filters when they look dirty, or change them 2 or more times a year, based on the calendar or when the heating & cooling seasons begin.

Reply to
Paintedcow