Expanding garden hose -- to be avoided

High failure rate.

"pocket hose" and other brands of expanding garden hose have a high failure rate.

Might explode, and delay your home repair.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's the water pressure in China?

Reply to
recyclebinned

I've totally no clue. Less than here, likely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think "explode" is a stretch but I also think we all knew this was going to be a piece of crap.

Reply to
gfretwell

To me, it was obvious from the get go that these things would be crap. Have they shown up in the Dollar store yet?

Reply to
Frank

What if you put a pressure reducer before it? That claims to limit pressue to 40-50 PSI.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

No, but I have seen CFL light bulbs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm not surprised. I thought they were made of spam, and spam isn't very strong.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

"as seen on TV!" some how doesn't equate to "good quality".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Could be but it makes up for it in volume.

Reply to
krw

I suspect they were never intended to be fully pressurized.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Which of the tasks in this video do you typically do with less than full pressure?

Washing the muddy jeep? Rinsing off the concrete patio? Watering the landscaping?

DerbyDad03

What I meant was they never intended for you to have the outlet end of the hose completely shut off thereby building up full mains pressure for the entire length of the hose. When you have a nozzle on the end of a hose you don't have mains pressure in the hose, you have substantially less, probably rarely more then 30 psi, not the likely

60+ psi you get with it shut off. I don't doubt that it's overall a crappy hose that's not going to last long, just saying it wasn't intended to be subjected to that kind of pressure, particularly without the outer sheath on it.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

What do you do with a hose that can never be shut off?

Reply to
krw

There's a big difference between "not intended to" and "not built well enough to".

I can't imagine anyone selling a hose "not intended to" be shut off. It's simply "not built well enough to" be shut off.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You turn it off at the faucet valve.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Are you kidding? The really cheap hardware store hoses are crappy thin vinyl and here in AZ if you "shut it off" like you are talking about and leave it in the hot sun for a while you risk a blowout. It's seems obvious to me, but apparently not to you, that the pocket hoses are intended for little more then doing some gentle watering or carport hose down as long as you don't block the end off causing it to blow up. In exchange for the light weight and compact size you give up strength. It isn't rocket science.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Agree, that doesn't make much sense.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why are you bringing up regional weather conditions and hardware store hoses as part of a discussion related to the what the sellers of a specific product intended it to be used for? We're not discussing the quality of the hose, which we all know is crap, we're discussing your statement that the hose was not intended to be left under full pressure, i.e. not intended to be shut off during use.

Did you watch even video I linked to?

Watch the commercials. Watch how they exaggerate all the problems with regular hoses. The tangles, the kinking, the weight, the pain to put away. Notice how they claim all of those problems will be solved with their incredible product. They are obviously implying that we should all replace our old pain-in-the-butt standard hoses with a product that has none of those problems. That also implies that their hose can be used for all of the tasks that you use a regular hose for.

Just look at the video I linked to. They use the hose to wash a muddy jeep. There's no proper way to wash a vehicle - especially in the hot sun - without turning the hose on and off multiple times. Do you really think that they "intend" that you to walk back to the spigot before and after each time you rinse off a new section?

That's true, but it's not the same thing as saying that the hose was "not intended to" be used like any other hose. They clearly show their "intent" by comparing their hose to regular hoses and by showing it being used for the same tasks.

No, it's crappy, gimmicky manufacturing to keep the price down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There ws a tv blitz ad for the hose over a weekend about a month ago, and then absolutely no advertising that I have seen, It just disappeared.

Reply to
hrhofmann