Engine hoist capacity

I can work with you. But, how does a person on webtv, that cannot post a picture on the web; build racecars?

Reply to
Oren

My first dealings with the internet, about 10 years ago, was with webtv. Simple, no viruses, good for basic e-mail and posting. Since then, my wife got a computer, and since she has service from MSN, I get free webtv service. So while she does the internet thing on hers, I just play around on this, since I have it and it's free. I'm not much into "technology", in fact I just got a cellphone about a year ago. (mostly because it was given to me from a co-worker who was upgrading, and it is a virgin mobile for $6.99/month and 10 cents/minute. And I only use maybe 10 minutes a month at most) As far as the racing, our families have been it for decades. We've ran everything from demo derbies to enduros, ministocks to latemodels. My wife, in 2003 won the track championship, first female ever, at our local paved flat 1/4 mile track. We both have multiple top 5 and top 10 point finishes in various classes. Her current car is a latemodel, 13-1 compression, ford 9 inch, mini clutch, ect. Sorry for the rant, but I take offence when people assume that every person with webtv is a moron. (many ARE, but that is beside the point! lol) Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm still deciding what way to go on this project. I'll let everyone know what I do, with results when I do. Big E

Reply to
big e lewis

big e lewis wrote: ...

Ignore the snide comments, it's usenet, afterall...

What puzzles me is if you're into the racing in such a big way you would even consider anything but a well-built hoist.

You surely must be able to and have all the welding equipment you would need and a little contemplation and design would allow for a quick set up and take down assembly using pins, etc., and provide more than adequate strength w/ less bulky support, etc., in the way...

$0.02, imo, ymmv, etc., etc., etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Same reason he is still using WebTV

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

LOL

Reply to
SteveB

Well, a prebuilt gantry hoist runs $500-600. The steel to build one, with the prices of even scrapmetal thru the roof, wouldn't be cheap. I just had my garage built in the fall, and the package, for some reason, had some extra lumber. I've got a couple of long 4x4's, and some cutoff pieces 5' long or so. Also several 2x8's, and various 2x4 pieces. So if I could safely build a hoist with this, it would be almost free, other than my time. Then I could spend more on go fast parts! lol Really, I honestly thought that I could build a wooden hoist that would be much heavier duty than a store-bought hoist.I have a large, very heavily built outside hoist I made to lift car bodies off the frame. It is made from 6x6's, with tons of bracing, but it is too tall to go in the garage, and there is no way to take it apart. I have a good, heavy duty steel hydrualic cherrypicker at my father-in-laws garage, but he uses it quite a bit on our fleet so I don't want to take it from him. Also, our latemodel has a fairly long nose, sitting low to the ground, with a bit of engine setback. So even my good picker is stretching to do this motor. I figured that an overhead lifting hoist would work better on this car in particular. Maybe my original idea won't work, thats why I was looking for imput. My drawing board is always open! Big E

Reply to
big e lewis

Did you think about a hoist during the planning and building, during the fall? What a great time to address this.

I'm surprised the framers left any wood! A good framer uses every scrap of lumber:)

Reply to
Oren