Tackled this outlet problem again a little while ago and here's the run
First, as suggested I tried switching the wires from the push in type
to the screws, that didn't do anything.
Secondly, I took off the next nearest outlet which is across the way on
the other side just inside our front entry way. I pop the plate off
and take out the outlet and I only see two wires attached to it. I had
thought there would of been four on this since the other outlet across
the way, the problem one, also had only two wires going to it. Is it
possible that another outlet on the same chain also had two wires?
This was on the same circuit, since I only turned off one switch at the
box outside and tested the power on the specific areas I was going to
be working on. That area was off and the rest of the house remained
on. Anyway, couldn't do anything there, so I just put that back
The next closest electrical switches/outlets on this chain were two
sets of (3) switch panels inside our front entry, I took off both of
them and basically just re-tightened the wire caps that had big groups
of wires stuffed in there and made sure that the wires going to each
switch were snug. Everything appeared OK in there before I did
anything, the wire caps appeared to already be tight etc... But I
guess everything wasn't fully tightened, since after putting everything
back together on those 6 switches and flipping the power back on for
that area, I tested the problem outlet and wah lah it's now working
I put in a little digital programmable timer about 6 months ago in one
of those switch panels to control the outside lights and I "guess"
somehow, someway one of those wires that were in the wire caps that I
re-tightened today quit making contact all the way. I don't know how
it quit making contact since everything worked fine for many months
after I put in the digital timer, and the last I knew, our house and
walls haven't moved any, lol. Nevertheless, it's fixed and I can rest
easy again :).
Thanks again for the help and suggestions from everyone!