Electrical code for spas in Phoenix( Gilbert)

I recently purchased a new spa from a company called "lifespas" in phoenix. One of the features of the spa is that it has a GFCI breaker built in to the electrical control panel. they TOLD me that this eliminates the need for a GFCI breaker at the sub box on my patio and that all I need is a 50 amp breaker. The sub box is about 7 feet from the tub and line of sight.

Now, I have had several electricians say they believe that there still needs to be a GFCI breaker in the sub box to make this meet code. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I know each state/city is different, but is this safe?

I live in Gilbert AZ just East of phoenix, I am assuming I would call the city of Gilbert inspector to find out more...

Reply to
GotBonus

sparty

Your local AHJ will know what he wantys but the NEC says

680.44(A) Listed Units. If so marked, a listed self-contained unit or listed packaged equipment assembly that includes integral ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for all electrical parts within the unit or assembly (pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls, sanitizer generators, wiring, and so forth) shall be permitted without additional GFCI protection.
Reply to
gfretwell

Yep

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I think this still leaves some doubt. If the unit went inside, then I think the above is clear. However, isn't it different if it goes outside? Code also requires a seperate additional disconnect means located nearby the spa. Since that switch or fuse box, etc, is located outside, doesn't that require a GFCI?

Reply to
trader4

The only person who can really answer this is the AHJ in Phoenix

As a general rule the only outdoor receptacles that require GFCI protection are 120v 15 & 20a but there are specific requirements for some others. This is far to much of a grey area for an answer to be valid from town to town. Bear in mind there may also be bonding issues too. If this is going to be 2005 code these can be significant.

Reply to
gfretwell

Electrian checked....no additional GFCI needed, but a disconnect was( 50 amp fused).

Reply to
GotBonus

I have an appt to see check out the SPAs at Life Spa in Phoenix on Friday nov 10th.. can you tell me if you are happy now w/ your Spa, service, and is your electrical situation all straightned out? would you recommend them to me?

Reply to
azmelrn