electric under floor heat

Let talk electric under floor heat? in a ceramic tile floor bathroom. I want to go over an existing tile bath floor. Renew a 50 yr old mud base, with a new ceramic tile. I was going to use thinset and set tile. Has any one used these electric mats? Looks like it will not add much thickness to the job. I wonder why home centers (HD or Lowes) don?t sell it. Do you think it will corrode? The thermostat seems to be the most expensive part of the job? any alternatives?

These are some sites I found?

TP

It should work fine the way you described it.

Reply to
m Ransley

I installed a warm tiles system. I like it now, but it was a little troublesome to install. The warm tiles system I used was the "loose" wire that is placed in a custom grid, great for odd bathroom layouts. I looked at other systems that came in prefabricated mats, I think those may be a little easier to work with. If I remember, the warm tiles system was the lower cost option of the systems that i looked at.

The warm tiles system used coated wire which (I hope) will prevent corrosion

Yes the stat was a little pricey, but it is programmable and I like the way it works. I don't think you need to use their stat, maybe their web site has a pdf with installation instructions that discusses temperature control.

TP wrote:

Reply to
mike60510

I helped my niece install a couple of these last year, she bought them at Menards I believe. The recommended method for "amateur" installers was to put it down, put thinset over it to level it out, wait a day, then lay the tile like normal. However, their comment was that the "pros" would just do it all at once and vary the thinset thickness to handle the heater wire diameter. I would recommend the first way personally even though we did it the "pro" way. Major PITA, especially in the kitchen where she only wanted the stuff in front of the cabinets and not out in the middle of the floor. She says it's nice now but it was UGLY during the install trying to get all the tiles level and even.

Reply to
os2guy_in_kc