How to provide heat to a small extension

I'm considering how to provide some heating to an extension. Off the kitchen, it's a utility room with shower room beyond, total area about

7m x 2.5m. There is CH to the kitchen but I haven't yet determined whether it can be extended to provide radiators. I'm looking at electrically-powered underfloor heating (area will be all floor tiles). However, as the roof gets a lot of sunlight I also wondered if solar panels used to run warm water might be a viable alternative.

Any observations from anyone who has done something similar?

Reply to
johnty

Electric costs around 3x gas to run. Flat plate solar space heating is far cheaper than costly water heating systems. This is the one form of solar that has very reasonable install cost and pays back well. See alt.solar.thermal.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I am working on replacing my forced air heating with floor radiant with solar assist -- I've found these sites to be helpful for understanding whats involved in all the various radiant heating options:

These sites offer a lot of installation and design documentation (you may have to dig around through the architect, designer, professional pages to find the good stuff):

guys do both electric and hydronic:
interesting products:

Gary

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (johnty) considered:

You might check out unglazed solar roof panels from Energie Solaire, or replace the roof with a layer of polycarbonate glazing over two layers of polyethylene film over a polycarbonate ceiling. The space between the film layers could be filled with air during the day and soap bubble foam at night from a shop vac blowing air through a pipe full of holes in a

10% detergent solution. The vac might turn off when foam begins to push on a screen over an air return near the top and the screen pushes the arm of a microswitch.

In Phila, 620 Btu/ft^2 falls on the ground on an average 30 F January day, so a square foot of room with an R2 cover and 80% solar transmission might collect 0.8x620 = 496 Btu and lose 6h(70-30)1ft^2/R2 = 120, for a net gain of 376 Btu, or 8x23x376 = 69.2K Btu/day, under an 8'x23' roof. You might get some sun in south windows as well.

You might keep the room an average 65 F on a 30 F day if 24h(65-30)G < 69.2K, ie G = 680/R < 82.4, which makes R = 8.26, ie US R-value 8.26 (metric U0.69) walls and ceiling, like 2" of white foamboard. You might store 69.2K Btu in

69.2K/(70-60) = 6920 Btu/F of thermal mass cooling from 70 to 60 F, eg an 8'x23'x1.5' thick concrete slab, or a thinner layer of overhead warmer water.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Thanks for the responses. I shall follow them up, and put Nick's reply into babelfish to get the English translation...

Reply to
johnty