Electric Dryer stopped heating - Could it be a circuit breaker.

I have a 220V electric dryer and it stopped heating...the drum and fan worked. I went to fix it and in the process of turning the circuit breaker on and off a few times and taking the front panel off to look at the heater element and thermostats ...it started heating. Is there a known failure mode of a 220V circuit breaker failing on one of the phases and allowing for something like this to happen???...and if so how do I check a circuit breaker for proper function...are they very hard or expensive to replace?...maybe I should just replace them.

Reply to
alibabba

Most likely the heater element is bad or a connection to the heater element is bad. It may also be a thermostat or a limit switch.

I hesitate to suggest checking a breaker to someone who asks how to do it. It sounds like it is something you should leave to a pro.

If you are 100% certain of your ability, then you use a tester (any of many types) and ground one lead and touch the screw - wire to each half of the breaker with the other, you should get a light or 120 volts on each side.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I'd check the lint filter and venting system.

What may have happened is that a clog may have blocked the airflow enough to make the unit overheat and the safety overtemperture thermostat opened.

While you were dicking around with the circuit breakers the dryer may have cooled down and the safety thermostat closed again, restoring the dryer's ability to heat.

Check the lint filter and venting ASAP.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi,

A copy: Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker ( needs 2! )... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... - thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch ... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

If 1/2 of the breaker quits the dryer cna receive 110 volts instead of the full 220 volts...motor only needs 110 volts to run and the heating element needs 220 volts to heat up.

Proper power at the dryer plug/outlet....no 220 volts there may indiate a bad breaker.

Normally no to both.

If that is the only thing you really touched and now the dryer works, might just be a good idea.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Actually it would not get any power since the circuit would be broken ( a 240 heating element does not use the neutral) But the result is right. BTW if you do feed a 240 heating element with 120 it will heat, but not very hot.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If 1/2 of the breaker trips off or is bad, the dryer will still receive 110-120 volts AC and the motor can still operate...the heat will not since it needs both powers to work. The OP had no heat rather than little heat. If you put 110-120 volts AC to a 220-240 volt element = about 1/4 of the heat output.

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

jeff