Reply to
Bennett Price

Why not rent a gas powered saw?

Reply to
Pete Pemberton

Hi, Carmen:

Carmen:

G Henslee:

I must just be really lucky to go to good Sears, 'cause it's not my looks that get me good service. The guy refunded our money, and said that every once in a while you'll get a lemon, but three bad examples of the same model means the design was flawed and then said; "We sold you a crappy product. I'm really sorry and I apologize on behalf of the company." Honesty I can appreciate. :-)

We bombed around and have it narrowed down to a 10 amp DeWalt (DW304), a 13 amp Bosch (RS20), a 12 amp Bosch (RS15) and a 10 amp Milwaukee (6519-22). DH seemed most taken with the Boschs, and I don't see any real reason to steer him away from them. He was trying to behave and go for the less expensive DeWalt but the Boschs have more power. If we get the 13 amp one we ought to be set for a reciprocating saw. The only more powerful one I've seen was a Makita at 15.something amps.

Carmen

Reply to
Carmen

The fumes from gas powered yard equipment are a guaranteed ticket to a migraine for me. There's no way I'm going to ask my husband to work all day then come home and do yard work when I'm here so we get electric yard equipment and I avoid migraines. I'm not a wuss, just delicate.

Carmen

Reply to
Carmen

Becuase electric is cheap enough to buy one for occasianl use, good enough to handle moderate jobs around the home and it's really rather handy not to have to schlepp off to the rental store when you want to do some cutting.

I got a dirt cheap Eager Beaver 14" thing that's really a toy amoung honest chainsaws, but I've owned it for ten years and it's still going strong.

John

Reply to
raven

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:hMZpe.3351$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

What is the best way to remove a small stump? Dig around the stump and then cut off from below ground level and then fill back in the hole? I have 8 small stumps from dwarf fruit trees I had to cut down. The Sawzall looks like a good thing to own. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Well, the BEST way to remove a small stump is to leave

2' of trunk attached to it, and use a bulldozer on it.

Failing that, digging out one side, and chopping it off below-ground with someone else's saw works pretty well.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Just a little "redneck" trick:

If the stump is not that wide in diameter, you can often use a "Jackall" jack to remove the stump. Use a heavy gauge steel chain around the base of the stump, wrap it tight, and then put the chain around the large runner of the Jackall. Cut the stump about 4 feet high, so you can lean the jack beam against the top of the stump. It often takes a few tries, but they usual give. I removed 15 stumps (about 8" each in diameter) from a cedar hedge that way in about 4 hours, roots and all, and saved a few days of digging and sweat.

BTW, don't get in the way of the jack if it wants to slip. Let it go. The pressure there is enormous and you can easily lose your fingers or your face trying to stop it. Also, a wooden plank, cut short, under the jack will stop the base from sinking into the soil as pressure is applied.

Reply to
nevermore2005

That's essentially what I did. Harbor Freight puts their Chinese made sawzall imitation on sale for $19.99 every once in awhile.

My tree was about 6 inches or so diameter, and had far more roots than I'd ever expected. It took several days and a lot of blades. But, we got it (me and a couple teenagers).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plesae do not use chainsaw on roots -- dulls the chain nearly instantly. I know from experience.

Dulls sawzall blades, too. Sand and dirt mixes in with the wood as the roots grow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon