Effen Rebar - There oughta be a law!

It seems like in the last couple of years more ignoranuses around here (Red Sox country) are sticking in foot long pieces of rebar where their lawns abut the street, hoping that'll keep the snow plows from ripping up their turf.

What happen is that a good number of those get bent over by the plows and end up sticking out into the street two or three feet.

They can be pretty hard to see at night, but you sure notice them when you move over to clear an oncoming vehicle and hear that rebar whack into and tear up your car.

I've felt like flinging one of those rebars right through the perps window, but then I'd probably be the one ending up in trouble.

I asked the town cop who lives behind me about the situation. He just shrugged.

Thanks for letting me rant...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Where I live (upstate NY), it's the town that puts the 6' posts in the ground in early November to keep their plows off people's front lawns. We live on a sharp bend in the road - and it helps keep people from misjudging the curve during heavy snowfall and driving across my lawn. I also put reflectorized posts in the ground bewteen the town's posts and my house as a deterrent to snowmobilers looking to cut across my property as the town salts more heavily in the curves.

Reply to
Les Wilson

cut rail road rails, perpendicular. Then paint a pin head on it

Jeff,

Frequently the land immediately adjacent to the paved road or street is actually city or town land. I doubt that the property owner has a right to place these on municipal property. In any event I'd think that this is in the same category as erecting any other "booby trap." Why not ask the city to take action before someone is physically injured?

RB

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
RB

Just tell him that he needs to put in heavier material. Something like an I-beam or telephone pole sunk deep is needed to tear the plow off the front of the truck when it is hit.

Reply to
John Hines

Send them a bill. When they fail to respond to that, file in small-claims court.

Reply to
default

I didn't get my aluminum and fiberglass reflectors out soon enough this year.

Several yards of my asphalt CURB and sod are now PLOWED UP onto my lawn.

It happens every other year, and the town never repairs it. ayup, they have an easement along the street and you really don't own that strip of land, even though you mow and maintain it.

That's why I put out markers.

My markers are in my lawn. If a plow could hit them to bend them, they are already off the street.

Dave. (has a rant too!)

Reply to
Dave Mitton

That's pretty funny!

It's amazing that people would have to use rebar to keep snowplows off of their grass. It must be rough up there. And,

It must be rough up there, John.

Belated attribution.

-- candeh

Reply to
candeh

I remember 25 years ago, when the Chicago area got he average amount of snow (and like 15x more than this year), and some of my HS friends in newer subdivisions had problems with mailboxes being knocked down in the winter.

And someone in the subdivision did this for their mailbox support over the summer, and after the village retrieved the plow from his front yard, and welded it back on to the truck, the drivers got the message, and that was the end of the problem.

The suburbs have there own version of street justice.

Reply to
John Hines

I can see that your post wasn't entirely in jest.

Yeah! Just try and leave those Christmas decorations up too long. Next year, I'll take the side guard off of my mower and blow grass on your lawn! Suburban Street Justice. Live it. Learn it. Love it.

-- candeh

Reply to
candeh

On 13 Jan 2004, snipped-for-privacy@thelast.mile wrote

I'm an anarchist: I'm gonna put up a WASHING LINE!!!

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

If you guys don't knock it off I'm gonna have a GARAGE SALE, or maybe even put up a basketball hoop...

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Cut it out, or I'm gonna paint my shed the WRONG COLOR!

Doug Miller

Hey, bright pink with purple trim. Day glo too. joevan

Reply to
joevan

If you can get a section of railroad *rail* about 6 or 7 feet long, use that for a mailbox support. Set it deep in the ground in the summer, so it gets settled in good before the ground freezes. Stick a little plastic reflector on the side of the mail box to give the plow driver something to aim at ;-)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I number of years ago a bunch of teen agers got an old junker pickup of the farm and ran it down the street with one wheel up on the curb taking out mailboxes. This happened about every six months. I was doing some landscaping at the time and had a railroad cross tie left over. I sunk it about 6 feet into the ground and potted it in the extra 1-1/2 yards that was left over from a pour. It looked pretty good.

About 4 months later there was a loud noise and when I went out there was the pick up. It didn't move. Stupid kids. Three of them had broken bones.

RB

zxcvbob wrote:

Reply to
RB

Used to be a place near Ashland Ky where the kids would come along and hit the mailboxes with their truck. One of the people augered down, put in rebar, brought it to the top and brought it together more, went up from the ground level with a 4" x 4" section of very reinforced concrete that he had colored with brown pigment. Looked like a rather ragged square wooded post.

A year later, several of the neighbors had broken mailboxes and ruts in their yards. He had a Dodge Ram carcass in the front of his yard, with the troopers grinning.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

The words "man trap" spring to mind. I wouldn't wanna try that stunt up here in the land of the liberals. (Taxachusetts)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yeeerrrrrrrr bllluffffffinnnnnnnn. bluff... blufff bluffff bluffin'!

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

You mean, just like telephone poles, right?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here