Easy wiring question

I am going to wire a new room in a basement. There will be a dedicated circuit for it. I want to have a switch to control wall lighting but not control the wall outlets. Do I have to split the circuit before the switch to do this or is there another easy way?

Reply to
rile

You could run the circuit to your switch box. Then run one non switched line from there to the outlets and one switched line to your sconces. You could run the circuit to all your outlets first, then up to your switch, then to the lights.

Reply to
RBM

I don't know if the code would allow you to split off to the light and other outlets in the switch box, but as a practical matter you dont have much space in the switch box to do this. I would split off in a junction box that remains accessable after the contruction.

Reply to
Carl Zipperle

No.

However there are a number of options that will depend on the situation. I have to agree with Pop. You need more information than can be given on the newsgroup. At the minimum I suggest buying a book or getting one from the library covering basic home wiring. There are just too many things that need to be done to assure a safe legal job to handle here.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Refer to:

Vince

Or daisy chain all the outlets, and then the lights, with a switch leg down to the wall switch before the first light. Lots of ways to do it, and we can't see the room, or the load, from here.

But having said that, I agree with the other posters- having to ask the question means OP needs to read the DIY book at a minimum, and preferably pay for some expert help. Local code and practicality often dictate that the lights and outlets be on different strings, assuming there is an open hole in the service panel to do so. How many lights? How many outlets? What will the loads be? If this is a 'man cave' TV room, there should be a string just for those outlets. If this is a workshop with power tools, you definitely need multiple outlet strings. Add up all the loads of each type, plus 25% headroom, and work backward to the wiring design. If there will be any siginificant loads, better to split the new work across both sides of the panel, for load balancing. I'm no electrician- I know just enough to be dangerous. Anything more than 1 for 1 device replacement, I look it up or ask an expert.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Sounds like you need more help than the group can offer you if you are having problems with this simple task.

Easiest way to do what you are trying to do would be to run from the circuit box to the outlet(s) then to the light switch as the last thing on the leg.

Keep ni mind though that with the entire room on one circuit the whole room will go dark if the breaker pops.

Reply to
mwlogs

Check the applicable code.

Reply to
CJT

"as a practical matter you dont have much space in the switch box to do this" The switch box can be a deep 1900 box with extension ring, which would have room for even more cables

Reply to
RBM