When static electricity in involved, it doesn't matter if the equipment
is turned on or off. Well if on, it may crash and need a reboot, but as
far as it doing damage, it'll happen either way.
Then again, I've used vacuums and even shop air to blow out PC's, and
hundreds of mother boards made for other equipment. Never had a
problem, just keep one hand on the ground and your other hand on the air
nozzle. It bleeds off the static electricity before it can build up.
Even better if it is plugged in, to have a real ground, but many
manufactures changed their instructions and now tell you to unplug it,
so you don't electrocute yourself.
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 12:46:21 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown
Better yet, don't operate the laptop in such a filthy area. Are you
doing something silly like using it as a smokeless ashtray?
Normally, the fans will wear out and the cpu will be obsolete long before
the fan blades fill with enough crud to matter.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.