dumping a duplex (outlet)

I have need to get rid of a duplex outlet because it interferes with a cabinet install. The wall it's on is the interior of a block wall which means there is only 1 - 1.5" space between the block and the back of the drywall.

What I want to do is route the wires in the existing location to another location; however, they are too short. What I need to do is wire nut additional wire to them, contain all in a covered box and fill in the existing hole in the drywall so that it is flush.

What do I need?

Reply to
dadiOH

A hammer and chisel to make a recess in the block wall to accommodate the box flush. Run new wire from that box to the new location if needed and do the same there.

Reply to
Pete C.

You can't do that by code. The current location of the box will become a "junction box" which must remain accessable. If this is a built in cabinet you will need to cut a hole in the back of the new cabinet, and either use an extension ring to extend the box to within 1/8" of the face of the back wall of the cabinet, or just demo the box completely and pull the cables into an old work box inserted in the back wall of the cabinet, then blank plate the box.

How to route an added cable to a new location is another problem, are you saying that you are installing drywall and then a built in cabinet but aren't using full studs to space the drywall away from the block? If so you will definitely need to provide some protection for the cable, romex by itself likely won't be acceptable if I'm envisioning this correctly.

Adding another cable to the old box shouldn't change the box fill calcs as a receptacle counts as two conductors (and you only count one ground.) But it still may not be to current code, I've seen plenty of older homes which had two 14/2s and a receptacle in a shallow single gang box which is not acceptable anymore.

good luck

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Code requires all junction boxes to be accessable, so you can't cover the box. The typical solution is to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet, then use a box extension to bring the outlet out flush with the inside of the cabinet.

Otherwise, you'll need to relocate the box (use a new box) and reroute the cable to the new location. If you have two cables coming into the box, you'll probably have to add a second box for the second cable, then run a new cable between the two boxes. The important thing is all boxes must be accessable.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

If there are more than one cable in this box, you may have to leave it where it is and make it accessible through the back of the cabinet, and add a cable into it from the new location. If there is only one cable in it, you can locate the origin of that cable,disconnect it, and run a new cable to your new location from that box.

Reply to
RBM

the must be accessible is so the box can be accessed in the future. the next owner may have a problem say the connection in the covered box goes bad...

without access or knowledge it could make repairs near impossible

Reply to
bob haller

Put a ring on the box and put a receptacle in the back of the cabinet. I bet you will end up finding a use for it.

Reply to
gfretwell

At my home, I discovered an outlet on the bottom wall of the bathroom closet, the owner didn't know it was there. It has become handy for charging all those cordless things like nose hair trimmers, keeping them off the sink and shelf next to it. An outlet inside a kitchen cabinet could be useful for keeping rechargeable kitchen gadgets out of the way. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Thanks for your responses.

It looks like there is no simple way to do what I want to do. I can't reroute the outlet to the interior of the cabinet because it isn't actually a cabinet...it is one end of roughly 25' of new construction and is stud framed, drywall over, totally enclosed. Even if I *could* put it inside that wouldn;t help as the existing outlet wpuld still be in the way...I need it flush.

The whole thing is sort of a window seat along one wall of a room (see ascii art below). It is terminated at one end - the outside corner - with a short partition extension of the existing perpendicular wall; at the other end by the "cabinet" which is actually more of a solid and unmoveable end table.

There are two other outlets along that wall two but they are not in the way. Fortunately, all seem to be daisy chained from a drop near the inside corner. I'll get an electrician out here, have him cut the drop in the attic, route the other end through a junction box and make a new drop so that I can route it through the inside of the new construction and put outlets where I need them.

Reply to
dadiOH

he may still be required by code to have a recep on that wall though...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel