Dulling a Polyurethane finish

I had to coat a piece of wood with a fourth coat. The Polyurethane is a satin variety but it made the piece too shiny. What can I to dull it a bit?

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

If the finish is well dried and very hard, I would try rubbing it with very fine steel wool. Also I noticed that Home Depot has a bronze wool that claims it won't leave bits of steel on the work surface that later might get rusty.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I would lightly sand (just a few light swipes) with 600 grit wet or dry paper (You might want to start with higher grit number so you don't dull the surface too much). Be sure to wet the paper with water before you, and wipe dry after a few swipes to see the results.

Light sanding with 600 grit followed by wax is a standard final finish procedure.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I agree with George's process. I have done this with 600 grit sandpaper as well as with 0000 steel wool and then wax. Brings out a nice luster to the finish and reduces the shine.

David

Reply to
DL

Thanks. That sounds like a plan. I've haven't done much finishing so your comments are welcome and sound smart.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John