DTV converter boxes - good, bad, ugly?

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see those at CC so I went ahead and ordered my coupons. Please post and let us all know if something changes and there's a new better product (since I won't get the coupons for another month it appears.) I did a little searching on the Zenith unit and it sounds like the audio output is weak on pre-May '08 built models FWIW. Only a concern, I guess, if you are using the RCA plugs for audio and not the RF modulator.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for the replies guys, I did see those at CC so I went ahead and ordered my coupons. Please post and let us all know if something changes and there's a new better product (since I won't get the coupons for another month it appears.) I did a little searching on the Zenith unit and it sounds like the audio output is weak on pre-May '08 built models FWIW. Only a concern, I guess, if you are using the RCA plugs for audio and not the RF modulator.

nate

The early model, the Zenith DTT900, did have a couple of audio problems. Those audio issues have been resolved by the latest Zenith model, the DTT901. Also, the DTT901 has "analog pass-thru", the DTT900 did not not have "analog pass-thru".

Jean

Reply to
Jean

Just got a Zenith at Circuit City. It works well, has pass thru, you can see program listing of both the current station and other stations on screen without changing the channel. Automatic channel search, signal strength indicator, and many display modes (automatic, increase vertical to fit, shrink horizontal to fit). Definitely recommend.

Reply to
Jeff

That's the model I have. It works well.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

On 8/29/2008 12:42 PM Jean spake thus:

According to the sheet I got from the TV converter box coupon program, both the 900 and the 901 have analog passthrough.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Note that translator stations are still allowed to use analog too.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

do you have to have a separate converter box for each tv in the house ?

James

Reply to
James

Only if you want to watch separate channels.

Reply to
Red

Mostly yes, and a little no. A converter box is mostly an ATSC tuner. Like any such, it will work for only ONE channel at a time. You need a converter for each TV unless you always watch the same channel on each TV.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The 901 has pass thru. The 900 doesn't. (I have a 900)

Get a Apex 250 from BB if you want s-video out.

Reply to
Keith S.

Wal-mart is now carrying RCA converter boxes that support analog passthrough. I believe the model number is DTA-800b1, as opposed to DTA-800 for the model without passthrough. The packaging looks almost the same but mentions the passthrough.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly