Drywalling tools

Is there ANYTHING worse than having the manufacturer put stickers on the blade of a drywall knife?

I can't imagine a dumber thing for them to do than put a nice shiny 6"x4" label on a 12" drywall knife. You have to immerse the thing in gas or some other highly caustic substance to get all the glue off, if you don't you get little pieces of paper and backing in the joint compound. The thing is even the major manufacturers do this - conceivably you would think they understand that the blade needs to be kept straight and clean - so what's the deal, is Marketing not talking to Engineering here?

Reply to
Eigenvector

This is not the fault of the manufacture but that of the big box stores. The manufacture would gladly ship it label free as he has to pay for the printing of the labels but the big box stores insist this stuff be there and if the manufacture wants the product in their stores he agrees to the labels. You are mad at the wrong people. Joe

Reply to
Joe

Naw, what about applying a paper ring to the handle? That would work just as well and the seller wouldn't care any less.

Reply to
Eigenvector

No! I work for a printing company that prints labels and tags for a company that does a large part of its business with Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart totally dictates what the labels will be like. They either bow to the wishes of Wal-Mart or do not get their product in Wal-Mart stores. I promise you Lowes and Home Depot have the same control over their suppliers. Joe

Reply to
Joe

I didn't know that, pretty retarded policy really. I think the buyer at Lowe's needs to learn how to drywall - they maybe they'll change their tunes. Especially after having to toss another batch of joint compound after it got contaminated with paper again.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Yup and they only pay about a buck for those six dollar drywall knives.

cm

Reply to
CM

Yeah well I'm not talking about 6 dollar drywall knives either.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Eigenvector" wrote in news:292dnUg0R_tS4jTYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

On one hand I heard a pro say it's good to know which side of the blade is which. The same side should always be used against the wall during a job. The paper side towards you is an easy way to ID the back and front side.

On the other hand, there's a lot of better ways to mark to distinguish side a & b.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Correct answer! Or at least, one possible answer. I learned the same thing in a drywall course: leave the label on, keep it away from the wall.

Reply to
DT

weeelllll I dunno bout that,,I like to think I'm a Pro after 25+ years and the first thing I do is get rid of the sticker with a utility knife blade and maybe some Ronsonol lighter fluid to remove the glue residue,,then rinse.. If the sticker marks anything it is the high side of the slight curve in the blade wich ,,yes,,should normally(99%) be kept away from the wall..I just look at the curve before I take mud from the pan/hawk..With it gone I do'nt have the sticker coming off in bits and getting junk in My mud..It realllllly sucks to have a perfect pull on a

36" wide butt-jo> >On one hand I heard a pro say it's good to know which side of the blade
Reply to
Dean

"I didn't know that, pretty retarded policy really. I think the buyer at Lowe's needs to learn how to drywall - they maybe they'll change their

tunes. Especially after having to toss another batch of joint compound after it got contaminated with paper again."

"pretty retarded policy"!!LOL ALOT and agreed. Contaminated mud sucks,,I'll agree with that too..In the Sellers defense tho,there have been people that switch labels in a store to get a cheaper price so the big sticky labels serve 2 purposes,,advertising and price switching deterent..I do'nt like advertising much OR thieves much so am stuck in the middle and just do what I gotta do to get done..Now if they grow a brain and start stamping the handles with a barcode and brandname!?!?Those pesky labels could be eliminated! Of course then they would have to inundate our tv programs with more friggin advertising than already exists!!Ya just ca'nt win unless Ya look right past it and look at the product and price only..The only way to reduce ads is to stop letting the ads work.. Sorry,,when I get started about "too much advertising" it ai'nt pretty..When I'm "dead dog tired" at the end of the day I LOVE My tv and HATE the overdone commercials!!Repitition is just another form of hypnotism,,keep showing them till people believe and buy.."BANE" of the info age I say! BANE!! Dean

Eigenvector wrote:

Reply to
Dean

Yeah that's my sentiment, although I'm a total drywall newbie. That damn sticker residue thwarted me at every turn before I got the intelligence to actually remove it. A nice bath in acetone got rid of that crap.

I like my drywall knife too, nice wide blade, nice metal, nice grippy handle. It wasn't that much more but it's easier to learn how to do something when you have quality tools.

Reply to
Eigenvector

You're right, Dean. I checked the drywall web site again, and what they were talking about was the *logo* on the tool, not a paper label. Here is a link, about halfway down the page:

DT