Drywall repair - what to use??

I am remodeling my bathroom. I took out the old vanit countertop with sidesplash. It was anchored to the wall with adhesive, and part of the drywall came out when it was removed. There is now an area with a 3" X

3" hole and a lot of the paper pulled from the drywall sheet. What's the best way to patch it??

I was thinking of filling it in with Fix-All, then several coats of mud until it is level, and then go to Home Depot and look for a can of spray-on texture for the final coat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Allen Cunningham

Reply to
twice_redeemed

I am remodeling my bathroom. I took out the old vanit countertop with sidesplash. It was anchored to the wall with adhesive, and part of the drywall came out when it was removed. There is now an area with a 3" X

3" hole and a lot of the paper pulled from the drywall sheet. What's the best way to patch it??

I was thinking of filling it in with Fix-All, then several coats of mud until it is level, and then go to Home Depot and look for a can of spray-on texture for the final coat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Allen Cunningham

Reply to
twice_redeemed

Buy mesh patch-kit in Home Depot. Details are here:

kgyula

If you DAGS on patching sheetrock, you'll be amazed at the amount of wheel-reinvention done. A professional repair: cut hole to a "regular" shape, like rectangle. cut scrap of sheetrock 2" longer and wider than hole, or slightly less. from backside of that, remove 1" all around, of paper and gypsum etc. You've got a 1"-wide paper flap extending all around "good" side of sheetrock. sand around edge of opening in wall apply compound generously to back of patch "flap", insert into hole, and use blade to remove that compound as possible. continue with compound coats, etc., etc.

This can make for a very strong, undetectable patch.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Thanks, what's 'DAGS', I don't quite get that part, but apppreciate the advice.

Reply to
twice_redeemed

it depends on if it has to support people bumping into it or not. Generally I would cut it a bit biggger, stick a piece of wood back there and screw through the drywall into the wood on either side of the hole so that the wood crosses the hole (doesent fill it else you cant hold it while you are screwing it). Then cut a new piecethe size of the hole and screw it into the wood. tape, mud, sand, and presto!

not the fastest way to end I admit but it may keep you from passing go a

2nd time.
Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

No support required, the problem is just around the back and side of the vanity. I would like to skip the taping if possible. I hate to tape!

Thanks for the advice

Reply to
twice_redeemed

Kooool, thanks for the link. I also am going to have to try to match the texture. Hopefullly Home Depot has some 'texture in a can'.

Reply to
twice_redeemed

'DAGS' = Do A Google Search

You have some good advice here. Repair sheet rock paper takes too much time to get it right best just cut off the damaged section and replace with new between studs or provide backing just like what CL Gilbert stated below even if not structural. Don't skip tapping or you will need to do it again.

Reply to
Fred

Sorry for the bad news but you can't get a decent job without taping.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

"Harry K" wrote

The Golden Rule of Home Repair:

DO IT ONCE. DO IT RIGHT.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

No, it has to be patched with real drywall. You'll have to get a scrap piece and then do the seams. You can find references on the internet for drywall repair with pictures.

Reply to
jeffc

What do you guys suggest for texture since it's just a small area?? I want to try to match the surrounding texture.

Reply to
twice_redeemed

I have used a whisk broom. An old one with straws pretty spread out. Get the mud about like pancake batter, or a little thinner, then just flick the stuff. Take a scrap piece of sheetrock and practice. It isn't hard, and unless you REALLY get it on there gloppy, it will pretty much match. Avoid the tendency to put too much on, either the whisk broom, or on the drywall itself. If it is a knockdown, don't forget to wait a bit for it to stiffen before knocking down.

I have used those texture spray bomb cans, and I like a whisk broom better.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB