Drywall ceiling - basement

Hello there, I am putting in a drywalled ceiling in my basement. I had to use 5/8" drywall as fire-blocking between the stud wall and foundation, but planned on using 1/2" drywall for the actual main ceiling since my joists are close enough together to allow that. However, I read on this forum that 5/8" rock might be required for fire protection for the main ceiling, by code. Since I am doing this with the proper inspections, can anyone shed light on this? Is it in the national building codes, or is this a one-off requirement of some jurisdictions? Thanks.

Reply to
joemcinter19

Since your doing it the right way, with inspections, just call and ask your inspector before you do the job, It will take 5 minutes and it's the only safe and foolproof way to avoid a BIG problem later on when the inspector shows up. What's in the code is important, but not nearly as important as what the inspector thinks is in the code :-)

Reply to
Mikey S.

I can't answer that question, but I'm wondering something else. Will you be installing some sort of easy access for working on pipes and maybe electrical junction boxes?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You've never seen a finished basement before?

Of course I have. Why do you ask?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

In chicago 5/8 fire code X is required, there are other types of 5/8 but HD carries Fire Code X here. Call the building dept. Do it wrong and they will make you remove it.

Reply to
ransley

I don't believe the inspector would argue about 5/8 inch rock on the ceiling.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Online copy of the NJ Building Code states that "Gypsum board shall be permitted to be used on wood joists to create a horizontal diaphragm ceiling in accordance with table 2508.5" which then states that 1/2" Gypsum board used on framing members of 16" o.c. provides 90 plf shear value, and on 24" o.c. provides 70 plf shear value when used with 1

5/8" wall borad nails or 1 1/4" type S or W screws.

The fire-resistance rated section of the code is simply too confusing to understand, but they wouldn't have conflicting requirements in the code book, would they?

Reply to
joemcinter19

It's taken a long time but I finally realized that people only learn from their own mistakes. Letem' drywall the ceiling. Anyone that dumb or cheap isn't going to listen to any sort of reason.

I always got a kick at the look on their faces when I told them to rip her down.

LdB

Reply to
L D'Bonnie

Joe brings up an important point, you can't block off access for a number of things. One is electrical junction boxes. Another would be water and/or gas shutoffs. I'm not a plumber, but I think if you have compression fittings on water supply pipes they must remain accessible. And there are probably other things that you can't block access to.

Most people use a dropped ceiling in finished basements for just these reasons. If you drywall the ceiling you need to put in the appropriate access panels. Even if you put in the appropriate access panels, future work supplying utilities to the upstairs becomes more complicated if you put in drywall. For example, adding an electrical outlet on the first floor is a piece of cake if you have access in the basement. With drywall on the ceiling, all of a sudden it becomes a big job with a lot of ripped out drywall.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Stop by, and see the local fire house Captain! Ask him/her.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

No, but they might argue about the 1/2 inch, or if he used the correctly rated 5/8. Best to just ask first

Reply to
Mikey S.

That's an unfortunate thing to do. Makes home repairs infinitely more dificult. I hope the tooth fairy comes tonight and takes all your teeth.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Get one of them break glass fire extinguisher boxes. Have a Sawzall, and about 50 feet of cord.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, and that's why I'm so cynical.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Unless there's a particular reason to do it, don't do it. I had to rip out the drywalled basement ceiling in the previous house to re-route a cable TV wire. The wire went where it should have, the drywall too - to the dump.

Reply to
Bob M.

You should read all the messages in a discussion before jumping into it. I never said dropped ceilings were visually appealing, nor did I suggest that the OP use dropped ceilings for his project. I asked if he planned to install access hatches in certain places. They're easy to build. Lots of houses have them for the attic.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not looking to fan the flames, but I was under the impression that 5/8" drywall was recommended for ceilings as it was less likley than 1/2 to sag.

In the situation described below are the studwalls erected a distance out from the foundation? Otherwise I'm not sure I understand the requirement.

Reply to
Jeff

When I built my place it was 5/8" or a low sag 1\\2" drywall for 24" center trusses. 1\\2" was ok for trusses on 16" centers.

I used 1\\2" low sag drywall on 24" center trusses. No sag anywhere that I can see.

LdB

Reply to
L D'Bonnie