Dryer Stops Running Prematurely

Symptons: When I push the Start button the dryer only runs from 1 to 50 secs. Question: What is the best way to diagnose the problem. How can I rule out some of the possible causes of the problem. Or just plain whats wrong with it. My Wife's Hypothesis: I broke it by turning the timer to fast.

Its a two year old Kenmore Gas Dryer (Model 110.72952100). It has a temperature controller and a moisture controller, but we never use the cycle that requires those features.

At this point I believe the problem could be a bad push button, a bad timer, or a bad microcomputer.

Push button - I don't really know the entire function of this push button. Is it truly just a start button to initiate the cycle and then its job is over. If so then the fact that it starts at all would rule this out as the problem. On the otherhand, if it actually turns the dryer on and keeps it on then maybe this is the problem. Which would be good because it only costs about $5. If I hold the button in it continues to run.

Timer - The timer continues to run even after the dryer stops, but its running about 5 to 10 times faster than real time.

The heat doesn't seem to be coming on either.

Sears also sells a repair manual. Does anyone have any experience with their repair manuals. Would it help me diagnose this problem. I'm fairly skeptical of the diagnosis charts I find in the normal paperwork they send. They usually stop pretty quick after "is the appliance plugged in" and "do you have a blown fuse".

Reply to
Vince

Ok, some questions...

Does it always start running when you push the button (i.e. it doesn't "struggle" to get going or not run at all)

You say it doesn't heat - does it try to (sounds of gas valve clicking, ignitor glowing - you can see this by removing the bottom panel at the front)?

I'm leaning towards the microcomputer (or "Even Heat board" as it's sometimes known). There's been a litany of problems with these, although it's the fiorst time I've heard of your symptoms. Open the console up (pop off the two plastic end caps and unscrew, then hinge it up), and you'll find a "tech sheet" in there. It gives a list of tests to carry out. Run through them and let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Mad Mac, Thanks a lot for your help.

On closer inspection it appears it does heat. I didn't think it was heating because most of the time it wasn't staying on long enough to get hot. But looking at the heater it glows and then if it stays on long enough it has a flame. The dryer always trys to run and doesn't seem to be struggling. Its just sometimes runs longer than others. Sometimes it stops as soon as you let go of the push to start button. But the timer always runs fast.

I got the console off, retrieved the tech sheet, and managed to get into diagnostic mode. I was able to run through three cycles and after that I wasn't able to get into diagnostic mode again. All three times the dryer ran from 90min to 10min in about 5 min. Outside of diagnostic mode it normally only runs a few seconds and never a full minute. It beeped to say it was finished when it stopped running. Unfortunately I thought the heater was not working during all three of these cycles only to find out later it wasn't working because I put it in fluff mode to get into diagnostic mode and forgot to turn it back. During these three cycles it seamed to give the appropriate responses to depressing the door switch, and the push to start button. However during the timer cycle it gave eradic responses. At first it beeped every second, then it stopped for a while, and then it started back for a while. There was some variation in this pattern each time I ran it.

Since I can't get the unit into diagnostic mode, I'm afraid it is the microcomputer, but because its so expensive I'm planning to try some of the specific tests like the timer and the end of cycle switch.

Does diagnostic mode make the timer run fast? It seems to run fast even when its not in diagnostic mode though. Is it possible for the computer to influence the speed of the timer (seems unlikely to me). If not is it possible for the computer to be confused by a fast running timer. Will a bad timer keep the computer from going into diagnostic mode. To get into diagnostic the timer has to be activated, the door must be open, the signal switch must be on high and then you have to switch from air fluff to ultra delicate three times within five seconds.

I'm going to check back for any comments you might have, but I'm probably only going to make limited progress on further testing today, because I'm going to stop this evening to watch my college football team play in the SEC championship to stay undefeated (hopefully I'll have at least one piece of good news today).

Reply to
Vince

Vince wrote: Sometimes it stops as soon as you

Classic symptom of trouble with the EH board.

But the timer always runs fast.

From memory, the timer motor gets its power from the EH board. Logic behind this is that in "auto dry" mode, the moisture sensor tells the timer how to run dependent on how dry the load is. In timed mode, the timer should just meander along in line with "real time". I'm as certain as I can be without actually coming to your home that it's the "even Heat" board - yours is avaialble at

for $89.75. By all accounts they ship fast, too, and will take it back if it doesn't solve your problem. (I don't work for them!)

Like I said, this particular concept has been nothing but trouble since Day 1, any of the appliance guys here will tell you that.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Hi,

Even heat dryer by Whirlpool....Eeeeek! ;)

Something that may help....

Any beeps?

Usually they are good....

Dryer Repair Manual, covers two and four roller gas or electric dryers.

There also should be a tech sheet inside the consol.

jeff Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Mad Mac, I replaced the EH board today, and dryed a load of clothes. Everything is working fine. Thanks for your help. I also bought the board via the link below. It was less expensive than the Sears Parts.

Has the quality of the replacement boards improved since these models were originally manufactured? Can I expect this to be a problem in the future? Is the board the thing that makes these models "a problem" or do all the other gadgets to feed it data also contribute significantly to the problem.

Vince

Reply to
Vince

Everything is

Hi,

Yes :)

Possible :(

Temp thermistor and relays have been problems as well....esp the temp thermistor.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid