dryer motor

I haven't dried any laundry yet, but with a new cord it starts every time, runs quietly, and heats.

Reply to
Jerry Trumball

I used Marvel Lubricating Oil. Its recommended uses include small motors, but I don't know if 1/4 hp is what they mean by small. Apparently the bearings were doing fine, so it would have been better to leave them alone. I don't think enough Marvel got into the bearings to wash away any original lubricant.

That seems to happen with things like headphone cords. I think oxidation can keep current from flowing from one strand to another. In that case you replace the cord or the headphones.

I found no broken strands in the dryer cord. Apparently it was a bad connection in the molded rubber plug.

Reply to
Jerry Trumball