Dryer burning up?

The only thing we dry on high heat is towels, and they come out smelling awful. I checked them out of the washer and they smell clean, but if we don't put two dryer sheets in the dryer, they smell kind of, I don't know, maybe burnt sort of. It's a pretty bad smell and if I dry with them after a shower, the smell is on me. Yuck.

We clean the filter after every load, so it's not that. We dried them on warm this last time and they seem much better. The dryer is about 7 years old. Works great otherwise.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Maxi

Email addy upon request.

Reply to
maxinemovies

Hi Maxine,

If it's been a while since it was torn down and cleaned (or if it's never been done ), call a pro and have it disassembled and cleaned/lubed. I do this all the time, and find way too much black (charred) lint that will scare you when you see it.

This lint gets down into the dryer even when you clean the filter every load, and needs to be cleaned out at least every few years. I have some customers with larger families and more lint-prone models set up on a once/year cleaning schedule, and they need it. It's amazing how much lint can accumulate inside some model dryers in a year of heavy usage.

And this lint burns well, there's an ignition source readily available, and lots of airflow (draft). Need I say more?

If you can't find a pro in your area, contact me with your brand and model number and I'll 'walk' you through disassembly. But a pro technician sees this job every day, and can do a thorough job in under an hour.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Free home appliance tips from a 32-year pro repair technician! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (Back issues now posted too!)

Acts 4:12

Reply to
Dave Harnish

Hi,

Is this a recent problem?...happening a while?

When was the last time the dryer and or the vent was cleaned out? Venting system and vent hood should be done every 1-2 years and the dryer every 2-5 years depending on the useage.

Try a load of towels in the washer with no soap (warm water)....let the washer fill and agitate for a bit and see if any soap is built up in the clothing(you will see bubbles ontop of the water)...if the clothes have a little soap retension the dryer will burn this soap.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff