Drum brakes?

I disagree.

Reply to
dino

Son, jones is a self-admitted troll and you've just been trolled...sucker. ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

A properly adjusted parking brake should stop a car from rolling. I've had them actually lock up the rear wheels while moving.

Reply to
dino

Funny how I've never had one that powerful, even after an MOT has fixed it. Probably has to be brand new cable, and brand new drums/disks/whatever at the back.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Everyone knows that. And most everyone in hilly areas know to park with extra safety precautions...because, as you obviously don't grasp, parking brakes are not always properly adjusted...moron. ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

True.

On an old Willys Jeep that I had, the parking brake was on the drive train, on the transfer case rear output shaft. The transfer case always leaked gear oil, even with new seals, which found its way into the brake drum and got soaked up by the shoe linings. Greasy brakes don't work.

Reply to
dino

The trouble is they go out of adjustment if a fly lands on them.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

The park position on an automatic works very well indeed. Why can a similar thing not exist on a manual gearbox? (For those stupid people who want manual gearboxes)

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

If possible always curb park in hilly areas for safety. ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

dino

I've found handbrake and 1st gear is enough, unless it's ridiculously steep.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

Tough Guy no. 1265

very good then...the biggest fear is someone accidentily bumping your car and knocking it out of gear and/or brake causing a runaway car.

use your best judgment...that's all anyone could ask ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

How can you knock a car out of gear or the brake off from the outside?

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

I've heard it could happen...is that a myth? ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.

If it could, it'd happen when you were driving and hit a bump.

Reply to
Tough Guy no. 1265

That's tends to be the technique used by fledgling motorcycle riders. It seldom has a good outcome.

Reply to
rbowman

I used one in my '51 Chevy after the master cylinder blew a seal. It wasn't really an emergency though. Between the handbrake and downshifting I could limp home.

Reply to
rbowman

I've lost the brakes completely, once on a '51 Chevrolet, once on a '62 Lincoln Continental. Neither had the modern split brake systems. Both had current inspection stickers (the US version of MOT in some states). The inspection included the brake lines, drums, slave cylinders, and leak down but didn't predict sudden failure of the master cylinder seal. Last year, the front master on the Harley went out. Again it was okay until it wasn't.

Reply to
rbowman

well, you've already discussed the faulty brake, so it could happen with just the faulty brake "set" and gear in neutral.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a car knocked out of gear, or at least someone believed they had it in gear (but in a rush, maybe not).

It seems plausible that knocking a car could cause a runaway. ;-)

Reply to
Dr. Jian Chang, Ph.D.