Driveway drainage

I recently have my old gravel driveway resurfaced with asphalt. The driveway is about 300 meters long and running through the woods. There are two stretches where the slope is quite steep. I noticed, after a few consecutive days of rain, both sides of these stretches show some sign of water damage. I.e. some soil and rocks were washed down the slope.

Since I have already spent $8000 for the resurface, I am looking for a cheap approach to prevent any further deteriation. I am thinking of:

- covering both sides of the driveway with rocks,

- or with the stuff people used in landscaping.

- And or planing some shrubs that might hold the soil together. What type of shrubs would be good for this purpose? The whole area is very shady. Almost no sun all day.

Would this solve my problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks, pac

Reply to
packat

Your contractor shouild have anticipated this and prepared shoulders of an erosion resistant type. You should call him and express your concerns politely and firmly. A job like that is rather amateurish at best. In our area it is common to put down shoulders of "road pack", which is crushed limestone with all the fine stuff left in and even added to. Ir sets up almost like concrete and makes a firm road base for driveways and highways. You may be able to find simi;ar materials, so check with any gravel/materials supply outfits for more info specific to your area. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst