Drilling porcelain tile

OK, what's the trick. This stuff just laughs at a Tap Con bit in a hammer drill (the carbide tip ends up melting) and if you try to shoot a tap con screw in it, you get a nail. It wipes out the threads. I just bought some Bosch super bits ($10 a pop) and I am trying them tomorrow. They say they will eat concrete with rebar in it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I used diamond hole saws for pipe holes. They make diamond drill bits too. Run them wet probably.

Reply to
Bob F

That is next but I couldn't find one today. I managed to get 3 holes in, 8 more to go. I might just burn up a few more bits and be done with it. I am going to squirt some water in there tomorrow. I know the tile guy was cutting them with a wet diamond saw but it was going very slow for him too.

Reply to
gfretwell

YOu have to use something to break the glaze if not using a diamone bit. Take a carbid bit and hold it in your hand. Tap it with a hammer gently a number of times to the glaze is broken, then you can drill it.

Ralph Mowery

This stuff seems hard all the way through. I have seen a lot of porcelain tile but nothing like this stuff. Like I said, it stripped the threads right off a Tap Con screw, that ain't the glaze on top.

Reply to
gfretwell

Knockout punch any use at all?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Then perhaps it's not porcelain? Pictures?

Reply to
Hawk

May be Kryptonite I suppose.

Reply to
gfretwell

There you have it. You'll have to call Lex.

Reply to
Hawk

Diamond drills and a lot of patience. Being able to use a drill press helps but I doubt that's an option for you.

Reply to
rbowman

I've drilled various floor tiles, glass jars, ceramic vases, etc., with a diamond bit and cool water for lubrication. I used low speed and light pressure. Let the drill and bit do the work.

I say that without knowing exactly what you're trying to drill into.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Treat it the same as glass.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The tile is on the wall. A drill pres is out. I managed to get one bar mounted today with the Bosch bits and water. The other "ain't arrove yet" (extra credit if you can name the movie). I have 6 more 1/4" holes to go. Pray for me. ;-)

Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
gfretwell

A company I worked for had a little side line in decorator quality lamps made from Fukagawa porcelain vases. We sort of had tryouts to find women that had the patience and light touch to drill them. The other problem was convincing them if a $150 jug broke, well shit happens.

We used Delft too but that was a piece of cake compared to Fukagawa. The Dutch called it porcelain but it really wasn't.

Reply to
rbowman