Drilling Angle Iron Problem (2023 Update)

My drill press has no reverse. I guess I can't trust you.

Reply to
Bob F

replying to 123, dustinthesmith wrote: Hate to say it, but you don't know what the hell you are talking about Pavel.

I'm a blacksmith of six years, every now and then even with the VERY high quality steel I buy for knives you occasionally run into a slag inclusion which simply cannot be drilled through. Basically, extremely hard carbides congregate at a specific point and makes it almost impossible for even a carbide drill bit to cut through it. It is simply the nature of steel and happens to just about anything made with the bessimer process to some degree.

I myself have a harbor freight drill press and it works pretty great even for drilling through hardened steel with a carbide bit. You can't exactly expect it to mill stuff, but for its purpose it works well and does a better job than any of my hand drills, including some very high quality ones I have.

All that being said, OP you could either find a way to grind through it, or scrap it and start over.

Don't be too disappointed though, I've had to scrap some very expensive work simply because of a slag inclusion on even American made steel of high quality, and unless you are buying some kind of crazy Swedish powder metallurgy steel at a huge mark up you will ALWAYS have a bit of a chance to run into some slag, it has nothing to do with harbor freight or home depot. The guy isn't building a skyscraper after all, there is no reason to sink hundreds and hundreds of dollars into a simple home project.

Reply to
dustinthesmith

A mere six years? ROFL! The post you replied to was written *THREE YEARS* before you ever *BECAME* a blacksmith.

Why can't you Home Moaners Hub people read DATES?

Reply to
Sam Hill

Occum’s razor in action

Reply to