Doorbell, etc. - Saving $2.50 per month!

What didn't she like? I discovered that they are starting to sell CFs with a good interior color temp (2700k) and replaced about 12 60w lamps in the master bath with 75w equivalents. Aside from the slight startup delay, it made a big difference. More light, way less electric used. Sylvania sells a micro sized CF now that actually fits completely inside the fixture.

Look at Lowes or HD. They do sell CF dimmables now, but they aren't cheap.

Reply to
Robert Neville

around here they dont sell the SMALL CF dimables that fit the bath light covers

Reply to
hallerb

There still are very few lamps and fixtures that take advantage of the small flourescent "tubes". I see some recessed fixtures in commercial buildings but "civilians" seem to be expected to screw in a CF.

That said, I use there where I can.

I wait with bated breath the arrival of "next generation" of LED lamps.

Present generation are just UV LEDS with flourescent compounds added. Their base efficiency is about the same as flourescent technology. (As an aside, high pressure Mercury and Sodium vapor lights are more efficent the flourescent simply because the internal arc produces visible light.) To could would be a mix of "pure" colors to produce a pleasing light.

The second problem is that "they" only use resistors to limit the current the LED draws. The "electronics" of the ones I have see are some filter caps, some diodes, and a current limiting resister.

But if "they" solve those problems, the LEDs will driving the CFs out of the market within a year. Yeah, their potential is SO much better.

Reply to
John Gilmer

First time I got a cell phone, maybe 8-9 years ago, the wallwart for charging it was an iron core one. Since then I had cellphones with switchmode charging wallwarts that ran cooler and probably consumed about

1 watt, possibly 1.5 watts less electricity apiece. It appears to me that one major reason behind switchmode cell phone chargers was that they can be made narrow enough to not block adjacent outlets on a power strip.

Don Klipstein

How many mutual funds have done better than that from so much as the

1982 low to now?

Don Klipstein

snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com:

The first time I got a cell phone was also maybe 8-9 years ago. When the contract ran out that was the end of that. Never had one since.

Reply to
Red Green

I'm surprised no one asked how he determined the $2.50 per month. Unless he used a Kilowatt meter or similar on each device he was turning off, it would be impossible to come up with an accurate number just by looking at a couple months bills. Bills vary widely by weather, different usage, etc.

Reply to
trader4

I've been doing whatever I can think of to reduce my energy costs for the last 7 years.

Every time I discuss various projects on the internet, someone has told me it is a bad return on my money...

Looking at the stock market, I am quite pleased that this is where I have invested my money (on a lower cost of living).

I have a friend who went the other route and received a "high return on his investment" as advised by these people. At last count he has lost 100K on his retirement account.

So where should I invest my money instead of spending it on reducing my energy costs?

Reply to
Bill

I have many of those larger transformers for things too. I made a bunch of short cords from old discarded devices to use as extensions to the outlet. In some cases, I soldered the wires directly to the plugs of the transformer and insulated them well for safety. I don't care about ever plugging those devices directly anyway so the modification is a permanent fix.

Reply to
albundy2

The average rate for residential power in the United States is just under 11.9 cents per kilowatt hour.

At that rate, $2.50 works out to about 29 watts per hour for an average (730 hour) month. That's a plausible total for all the devices that run in standby mode in the typical modern house. (As has been noted elsewhere, some of those devices -- wireless telephones and devices that use clocks, for example -- aren't very useful if they're powered down completely.)

Replacing lighted power strips is probably a false economy, especially if those strips (and their lights) are kept powered off most of the time. The small neon lights in power strips consume less than half a watt, which would mean more than seven years of continuous use just to get back the typical $4 cost of a new strip.

Reply to
Neill Massello

last june they had no mini CF that were dimable.

my wife absolutely wanted dimable ones.

I may try again but they must be white light too

Reply to
hallerb

e:

up something?

I bought the cheap home depot extension cords, made for lighting but fine for transformers, cut off all but a foot of cord, left the receptable and installed a new plug.

they are two prong but accomodate 3 things. decluttered the wiring mess a lot

Reply to
hallerb

A couple of my plug strips have the outlets at 90 degrees, spaced far enough apart that you can put a wall wart at each position. Looks like a bunch of little pigs at a trough, tails hanging out.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers