Door frame seems secured by trim

I'm removing the trim from a bathroom door frame, and it looks like the trim is keeping it together. The frame isn't directly secured into any wood on its own other than the frame. Is this normal? It doesn't seem right.

If this is horrifying, can I just nail in some boards to the nearby wooden beams (say, 1/2" away) when I reinstall the frame and trim?

Reply to
Adam Preble

Hi, How is the trim is secured then? Frame should be secured into studs and header with shims. Trim is just cosmetic. It does not support the door frame.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have the trim off on one side. The trim was nailed to the frame and the studs. There doesn't seem to be anything securing the frame to the studs. There's a considerable gap on both sides.

When I take off the trim on the other side, I should know for sure.

Reply to
Adam Preble

the considerable gap is normal. yes, fill the gap with shims in three places on both sides of the doors, and nail through the frame (actually, jamb is the proper term) into the studs. someone hung your door using the Q and D method.

Reply to
marson

Looks like some one pulled quickie, LOL. Looks like trims were really holding the frame.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Some prehung doors come with the casing already attached on one side. I think the guy that slapped in your door decided that since he could nail through the casing there was no need to nail the frame. It's held this long, but it's a shaky installation. use shims on both sides before you reinstall the casing. It's best to use tapered shims, cedar shingles for example, so you can fine tune the shim thickness. You want a tight fit but not too tight. If you put them in too tight the door will bind.

RicodJour

Sounds like you have a split jamb casing applied door. Casings are applied to both sides at the factory, jamb splits in half to accommodate slightly different jamb width frames. After splitting the jamb and trimming to length the door is installed and secured with the trim. Before the other side is slide into place the half jamb should be shimmed at the hinges and lockset area as a minimum. Lot's of finish guys skip this part.

Reply to
Alan