Dont know the extension cord value

I regularly stock them....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

We can be pretty confident that the OP doesn't.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The OP, not having either a VOM or a wire gage, sounds like it would take him MUCH longer to go to the store, try to find the proper end, and then spend a bunch of time buying a wire cutter, a wire stripper, screw drivers, and learning how to put the ends on. And after all that time invested, not be sure his results were safe. Because he'd never done one of those.

.

Take a lot more time and effort to run out and buy a new one instead of taking the 10 minutes to repair the end.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Because it's the diameter of the WIRE, not the thickness of the insulation, that determines gauge.

Indoor cords don't need as much insulation because they are not being dragged around on sharp stones or whatever other obstacles may be out in the yard.

Reply to
dennisgauge

n, that determines gauge.

gged around on sharp stones or whatever other obstacles may be out in the y= ard.

I was at a BORG store when a customer inquired about running a extension cord stuffed in the control joints of his driveway.

the clerk tried to explain why it was a bad idea.....

I finally added if anyone walks on your driveway espically in wet feet they could get electrocuted:( thats when the shopper admitted the cord was for a swimming pool for kids

Reply to
bob haller

Yep. It's not TOO hard to run the wire UNDER the sidewalk.

Reply to
HeyBub

You are kidding, right?

I hope you are not suggesting running an extension cord underground.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hiring a licensed electrician is a lot cheaper than a hospital bill or a = lawsuit.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Sure. What could go wrong?

Reply to
HeyBub

Ah ! I see.

Better, then, would be overhead wiring.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nah, the underground voltage depression will return when the cord comes back up just the same as when it comes back down from overhead. It's all ok at the point of use...

Reply to
dpb

yep its not like a car battery sitting on the ground they go dead and cant even be recharged ever....

Reply to
bob haller

Years ago, when I was a teen, I helped my father doing construction. He asked me to bring up his circular saw (he was on the roof). This was in the days before double insulated tools, the skill saw was all metal and three wire plug. I grabbed the saw took a couple steps to the aluminum ladder and started up. About two rungs in I got a huge shock and my hand clamped around the rung I was hanging on and my other hand clamped around the metal handle of the skill saw. I couldn't let go! So I made a throwing motion with my arm so that the weight of the saw would cause it to pull out of my clenched hand. I had to make the motion a couple times and threw the saw to the ground breaking the connection. My dad saw that and yelled at me that it was no way to treat his tools!! I told him what happened and he said his dumb assistant had cut thru the extension cord yesterday but had fixed it. We took the tape off the "repair" and saw that he had paid no attention to any of the wire colors and just hooked em up at random. Up until I grounded out on the aluminum ladder the saw and ext cord had worked fine all morning......

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I hope you had the dumb assistant saw some boards, while standing in a grounded barrel of salt water?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As stated before, installation of a certified cord end, male or female, is NOT a repair. You may not tape or otherwize repair any damage between the cord ends. You MAY cut the cord at the damaged point and make 2 short cords.

Reply to
clare

What do you suppose was causing the "rings" around the cord? Perhaps it was overheating?????

Reply to
clare

Or have a $50 cord.

Reply to
clare

On 8/7/2012 8:54 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

What rings were those? Nuttin' about no "rings" in any posting I replied to...

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Ashton Crusher