Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

My eletric lawn mower has for years occasionally left cresent-shaped strips an inch wide, even though I was sure I'd covered the area.

Suddenly this spring, the same mower seems to barely cut.

But I usually don't get started mowing this early, when it's still cool out. 60 to 65.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Reply to
micky

Clean out all the old <and new> grass build-up from the deck. and clean & sharpen the blade.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

I appreciate your going to the trouble to answer.

But despite that, the question is still pending.

Does warm weather make grass plump and easier to mow?????

Does warm weather make grass easier to mow for any reason at all?????

Reply to
micky

Warm or cool weather - doesn't matter ... if your deck is all clogged up with grass and your blade is gummed up and dull - you'll get a poor result. Be sure to unplug it.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

It makes it juicier but not necessarily easier to cut

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Then it's very strange that it's cut just about the same for years, and all of a sudden it's doing so much worse this week.

I'm even tempted to not sharpen the blade until after it gets hot here, to see if maybe you and Clare are wrong, at least about my grass, and it does cut better when hot out, even with the same lawn mower.

Reply to
micky

Sharpen the damned thing!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My dinosaur-juice injected Kohler Command Pro has never done that. What kind of wimpy electric mower you got?

Reply to
Moe Zarrela

Have you had meaningful discussions with all your neighbours about your grass conundrum ? Perhaps they have similar experiences and could help you ? You could champion a neighbourhood support group and have meetings - be sure to post the minutes here for our edification. I'd also like to know about the snacks at your meetings - gluten free ? If all that fails, you might consider cleaning your deck and sharpening the blade. Just a thought. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Micky probably has something like this :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Seems very strange that if it's temperature related, you're only experiencing it this year, in early May, but not in other years. I mow the lawn every year into December, sometimes into early January. Cuts the same. Those later mowings are weeks apart, just to even it out and make it look great again as it;s still slowly growing.

Reply to
trader_4

In other years, maybe every year, I haven't gotten around to mowing the lawn for weeks. The lot is tucked away and I have a picket fence and bushes, so the neighbors can't see** how bad my lawn looks, but still I am ashamed that I haven't taken better care of it. **One neighbor, not a real close one but who drives by frequently, told me she'd been here

10 years and never knew my house was here.

Wow. I think mine stops growing before than, and I live south of you.

There is still the theoretical possibility that it's dehydrated in the spring, but once the hot weather plumps it up, the cool or cold weather doesn't have the opposite effect until maybe march. I doubt this a lot, but who knows.

As to the recommendations from some for me to sharpen the blade, it's much more important to me to investigate this than to mow the lawn.

Science for its own sake.

Maybe mine does too. I'll have to check.

Reply to
micky

It's an AC-powered Black and Decker full-size. Has a place to attach a bag for clippings.

I was a couple blocks away and one of my n'bors had the smallest mower I'd ever seen

It doesn't look that small in the pictures here but it's the cutest thing. It has a handle in the middle and barely weighs anything, even with the battery.

She had a matching weed-wacker too. Very fashionable.

Reply to
micky

14" blade!

Reply to
micky

14" blade! She has a teeny front yard so it's all she needs. (the back yards vary in size but none of them are very big.)
Reply to
micky

Not necessarily. In fact it may make it dryer. This is definitely a factor in my yard. My philosophy is 'if its green its grass'. So in the Spring my yard has a lot of soft wet grass that tends to bog the mower. I have to clean under the deck much more frequently. I also sharpen the blade in the Spring. Then in the middle of the summer the grass is a summer grass which is drier and stiffer, so that the blade can cut it more readily, and it doesn't tend to stick under the deck and bog the mower. I have a 56V EGO mower. In the Spring I frequently run the battery down when mowing the back yard. Later when it dries out I can mow the whole yard without stopping.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

How long has it been since you sharpened (or replaced) the blade?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I havent' sharpened it for years, but it cut the same year after year until suddenly between last fall and now, it started cutting not nearly as well.

To everyone who wants me to sharpen the blade, of course that will make a difference. That was not, is not my question. My question is, What is different now from last fall? And how can it become so different over one winter compared to all the years before then when it was about the same?

Reply to
micky

I really like your answer. If I'd used a word different from "plump", I think I'd have gotten a Yes. Yes, drier and stiffer might be exactly what I meant. I don't have a plump-meter, so I was guessing that it could be un-plump now and plump later. I guess I forgot what warm weather was like, and I was thinking that the heat would make the water rise in the grass, but you've been paying more attention than I have. And I guess other factors make the water rise, maybe just the difference between 45 and below vs. 50 and above.

Your answer is actually so helpful that if I were one of the other readers, I'd be suspicious that I'd paid you to write it.

I will examine the grass today and try to remember what it was like to compare with the June grass.

Reply to
micky

I wonder if it would help to sharpen the blade and clean out the deck ? If you were to do it while sitting outside on the lawn - you'd get some fresh air and sunshine and enjoy the bees buzzing on Pretty Yellow Lawn Flowers ! .. wear some paisley and tie-dye and commune with the grass, one blade at a time. You might be surprised how your grass-anxiety just floats away on the dandilion fluffs. Then mow the lawn and admire how well it looks, at long last. John T.

Reply to
hubops