Does drywall attract water

Strange situation in the basement of my house. The basement has had a known water problem, the previous owner "fixed" it with a french drain on the uphill side of the foundation and that did appear to halt water seepage. After installing the french drain he covered the basement with wood flooring, supported on 2x4's. I can only guess how long the flooring has been there, 1980's possibly earlier, but right now I'm in the process of ripping up the flooring. The concrete under it doesn't appear water damaged, although the boards used in the flooring are well into a decayed stage and dry rotted to heck and gone. So there is the history, during my remodeling of the basement I leaned drywall sheets up against the foundation walls to keep them out of the way. Anyway, I have begun to clean up the area and noticed that in one spot there was moisture dripping on the flooring, mold (the white fuzzy kind) on the concrete, and fresh signs of efflorescence and moisture on the foundation - but only in the spot where the drywall was touching the wall. There were also about a zillion angry spiders too, one of 'um big enough to challenge me to an arm wrestling match - I declined the challenge.

It was only in one spot, and only where the drywall was leaning against the concrete. Was the drywall attracting water through the concrete, or is this a completely coincidental situation. I can deal with a water problem, I suspect it exists regardless of this particular occurance, but I wanted to be sure of the cause. I want to add, that the flooring where the water was seeping through prior to this had NO signs of water damage. So whatever the cause its new and not something that has shown in 30 years. Unless of course the drywall was acting as a drip path for the seepage, whereas normally the water would drip down the wall and pool under the flooring.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Water passing through basement walls and floors often just evaporates unnoticed into the air if its passage is not obstructed. Testing for water penetration is done by taping a square of plastic to the wall or floor for a day or so and seeing if it gets damp underneath. I suspect you have a water problem which will have to be dealt with before you seal up the floor or wall again. You can use the plastic test to determine if and where the water is coming in.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young