Does cast iron rust under water?

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yep. Cast iron rusts slowly, steel fast. I suspect the submarine was made from wrought iron which would also rust. Also the sub was in salt water which increases speed of reaction.
Harry K
Cannot say anything as a metal expert, but I think the life of your barbells will depend on the content and quality of the cast iron. Being barbells, probably made in China, they used the cheapest, easiest to get iron to make the barbells. Since they only function to be a weight, there will be no need for a good quality iron to be used.
That said, I used to work for a gas utility, and they still had cast iron gas mains in use that were close to 150 years old. Ordinary steel mains required coatings and anodes to prevent corrosion but the cast iron needed nothing to keep it in good useable condition. I can only assume that the iron that was used to make them was a good quality iron made to a specific specification.

I'm thinking a four foot section or so of rail road track (iron). Torch a hole in one end, tie it off and drop it where you like.
(I've got an anvil made from a track)
-- Oren
Oren wrote:

Railroad tracks are steel. Iron would be too brittle - it would shatter the first time a train rolled over it in sub-zero weather.

I'm corrected... a rail road track (steel) section would make a good mooring, if they OP can acquire some.
-- Oren
HeyBub wrote:

HUH?

It certainly is not be as strong as steel track, but thousands of miles of cast iron track were laid in this country before steel track became practical to produce.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.