Do Your Own Electrical Wiring

I've always felt comfortable with carpentry and modest levels of plumbing, but electrical work always seemed beyond my abilities. Over the past year, I have bought books, tools, wire, wire nuts, drill bits, circuit testers, etc. and have been rewiring parts of my 1960's era ranch house. I am amazed at how easy it really is. I hired professionals to upgrade my main service box and install a subpanel (and I watched what they did), but the wiring to each room and outlet is being replaced by me and my 'hole hawg'. I have removed the drywall from the ceiling of my basement, so the projects are much easier. I will replace it with a drop ceiling so that I will always have good access to the wires and plumbing.

A healthy respect for the deadly power in the wires is a good thing to keep. Having the subpanel is great because I can remove power from the entire box with the flick of a switch, before I do any work. That would require removing the electric meter to do that in the main box. With each new circuit, the last thing I do is to connect it to the power box in the basement, so the majority of my work is quite danger-free.

Bottom line... don't be afraid to do your own electrical wiring. It is often easy and safe and you end up with good quality, reliable circuits that you are familiar with. Try it. After the first circuit is done, you won't pay dearly for electical work again.

^ ^

Reply to
Tank

Exactly. I'll add to that, assume there's code for EVERYTHING including things you might not consider, like staple spacing in a romex run, etc. Always do things to code -- it's there for your safety. Just because it SEEMS like it will work (but violates code) is not a good reason to do it.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

As long as you have done your homework and you are careful and you stop whenever you have a question and are not sure of the answer, I believe most people can do a lot of their own electrical work.

Of course if you feel those codes don't apply to you, then don't try.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've done my own wiring too, and according to the Code as far as I understand it.

The trouble is that the Code is so complicated that people can charge big buck$$$$ for seminars that explain it to the people who have to follow it -- and especially after each new triennial revision.

Much esoteric stuff concerning the Code can be learned from Mike Holt's Code Forum at

but don't dare ask a question, because they deign not to converse with mere mortals (such as homeowners) but only with "professionals" (such as electricians and inspectors).

Perce

On 07/13/05 12:24 pm Tank tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

First call me. We can make an appointment with a life insurance dealer ;)

This kind of stuff should be learned by reading and watching. If you got no one there to give you tips, you will learn the hard way, and sometimes there is no 2nd chance.

And yes, be afraid. You can do anything if you have the right teacher.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

But before you even attempt to touch a wire, visit this website.

Remember, accidents happen and we all need to be prepared for the afterlife.

Reply to
TPutmann

Just curious, what is the legal requirements for staple spacing? I generally use one within 6 to 8 inches of a box (closer for plastic boxes without clamps, but I normally use metal boxes). Then I put a staple about every 20 to 36 inches. figuring 2 feet is ideal on a ceiling and 3 feet is plenty on an open wall, (like in a garage), and if it's going to be a closed wall, I place them every 4 feet or so. Not knowing there was a requirement, this is just what seems to work and keep the wires tight. (As a guess, I probably staple MORE than required).

I cant wait to hear the results.

Reply to
oldfart82