Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

"Human vision is adversely affected by light fluctuations at frequencies up to 200 Hz, even though people can only directly perceive fluctuations at frequencies up to about 70 Hz. The fundamentals of the sensitivity of the human eye to rapidly changing light (transient light artifacts or TLAs) as a function of frequency have been well known to science for a decade or more. Despite this, the lighting industry has so far limited itself to only characterizing light sources over the range of frequencies which the human eye can perceive directly. This range is below 100 Hz. However, it is well documented that human visual performance is degraded by the presence of light fluctuations at frequencies in the range from 100 to 200 Hz. Here we will describe a new flicker metric/tool that includes consideration of higher frequencies and further discuss an AC-LED light engine relative to performance against the new metric."

Reply to
William Gothberg" <"William

And you're free to be ignorant and believe that only a very small number of people are affected.

However, I'm not free to make everyone else's car have decent lighting. I have to put up with inferior shit by designers without a f****ng clue how the human eye works.

Reply to
William Gothberg" <"William

I'm definitely getting 100Hz flicker from it, I timed it using a slow camera shot (1/10th of a second) while moving the LED across the camera's field of vision. There were exactly 10 bright spots, although they were only 8% brighter than the dim spots. The LEDs don't go off completely. It's enough of a flicker for me to see with my eyes if I scan past the light, and I can detect anomalies when watching something rotating, like a drill chuck. I've got an oscilloscope on order, then I'll be able to check the signal to the LEDs (and in other parts of the supply) accurately.

Reply to
William Gothberg" <"William