Do I have a leak?

I opened up a wall up today and exposed the sewer line. At the joint, it appears discolored both above and below the union. The area was slightly gummy. I assume it would be a leak if it was discolored below but above? Is this a leak that needs to be fixed. See photos at:

noname87

I opened up a wall up today and exposed the cast iron waste line. At the joint of two sections, it appears discolored both above and below the union. The area was slightly gummy. I assume it would be a leak if it was discolored below but above? Is this a leak that needs to be fixed. See photos at:

noname87

I opened up a wall up today and exposed the cast iron waste line. At the joint of two sections, it appears discolored both above and below the union. The area was slightly gummy. I assume it would be a leak if it was discolored below but above? Is this a leak that needs to be fixed. See photos at:

noname87

Doesn't look like a leak. Normal rusting, discoloration.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I've frequently seen slight seepage with old oakum/lead joints in cast iron waste pipe but it seldom seemed to be a problem -- assuming that it really is just a bit of gunk at the joint. I sometimes suspect that it is the pitch that the oakum was saturated with although I haven't had the nerve to really get in and analyze it...

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks.

My concern is there is that in addition to the normal rusting, there is a dark discoloration for three inches above and below thw flanged joint. Wiping it with paper towels yield a gummy rust color stain. It doesn't appear to be wet. The floor below where the pipe enters the cement floor appear unstained and dry. The pipe has the normal rusting for 1-2 inches above the floor before the darker part starts. This pipe is over 40 years old and appears in good shape.

Reply to
noname87

Thanks.

I see a the slight seepage you are talking about on the other joints in my system but they were confined to the immediate area by the joint. For this joint, it extends 3 inches below and above.

Reply to
noname87

The pictures are also here:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: