Disaster waiting to happen? Using PVC for deck supports???

Really, I sit corrected--steel does burn!

Reply to
jimbobmitchell

I always w Steel columns in a house fire are not an issue. The house will be long gone before they fail.

What we *were* discussing was whether cement in a column (of any composition) adds strength, and if so, how much, and as well why add cement.

Cement is added to a Lally column to prevent collapse or pinching failures. Who cares what happens when the steel softens to the point of failure? The game's over at that point regardless, the house will be long gone, and the failure of other members of the structure will make any column's ability to withstand fire a non-issue.

But, what the heck, let's argue onwards.

Reply to
PeterD

The firemen trying to save people in the house may care a lot about that concrete in those columns. That's why the building fire safety codes insist on them being there.

Reply to
salty

I've seen two claims of fire codes requiring concrete fill, yet I've seen no reference posted to a fire code that does require that in residential construction. Reference??

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Check with your local building department.

Reply to
salty

Actually no, consider what the extra oxygen supplied when you squeeze the lever is supporting.

Reply to
George

As I suspected ... you are just making up stuff.

Reply to
Matt Whiting