Dimensions of PVC fittings

I need to move the drain location under our kitchen sink slightly and I would like to do it on paper before I start cutting and hacking. Does anyone know where one can download dimensional drawings for PVC fittings -- specifically the 1-1/2" sch 40 fittings?

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It all started when I remodeled the kitchen. I had to move the sink base over 3". I knew where the drain exited the wall relative to the original sink drains so I moved it over the 3" plus an amount to get it exactly centered between the sinks. So far so good.

Then I wanted to get a true wye so everything would be symmetrical and orderly. I couldn't find a 2x1-1/2x1-1/2 true wye anywhere and I couldn't do it with reducing fittings because of the add'l length. That's when my plan went off the rails. At that point I settled for a regular reducing wye. That put the straight portion just a little too far from the one drain to allow the P-Trap radius to span the distance.

For the time being I have one of those adjustable down tubes, the ones that look like a flexible drinking straw, and that just bugs the hell out of me knowing I had screwed up in my planning.

I plan on using two 22-1/2 deg. street elbows to offset the straight end of the wye. I know how much the drain needs to move to be close enough to the down tube and I know how much space I have perpendicular to the wall and that I why I need the dimensions.

Life may have been easier if I wasn't so anal.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The old man's credo: Good enough for as long as I'm probably going to live.

Leave something for your kids to fix... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Generally you just use that trap hardware with all the slip fittings and make it fit.

Reply to
gfretwell

Instead of a "Y" use a "T" at the wall with pipe stubs either side of the "T". Ideally a plan view would show the "T" behind the two sink drains as close to the wall as practical. This is so the traps can be mostly perpendicular to the wall and allow putting a waste basket under the sink where as traps running parallel to the wall will use up most of the space under the sink. Make up height with *pairs* of "90 EL"'s and vertical stubs as needed.

Basically you want things as close to the underside of the sink and as close to the wall as practical for storage. A "WYE" sounds like a short cut but really just introduces problems. You may need more fittings but the fit will be much easier and yield more storage space.

Buy a length of pipe to custom cut the stubs as its unlikely, unless you have done this many times in the past, that the first fit will be 'spot on'.

John

Reply to
John

Hi, I like that, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I dry fit to get an idea and then assemble from one end. As I add pieces I recheck because pvc goes together a little more when there is glue on it. Make the cuts on the straight parts only after you have assembled up to there.

Reply to
jamesgangnc