Difference in wall-repair products (spackle, etc.)

You may remember my adventures in towel-bar hanging. While buying yet another can of spackle, I got to wondering about all the different kinds and the advantages/disadvantages/applications for each.

For example, there is "light" spackle, which is moist and literally feels light (the tub weighs little). There is "vinyl" spackle. There is dry spackle that needs water added. There is plaster. There is water putty. And more.

Can someone enlighten this DIY newbie about which ones are for what kinds of repairs? Is there one type that is preferred over all? Is it just a matter of preference/price?

Thanks in advance, Jo Ann

Reply to
jah213

Spackle is mainly used for small nail or screw holes. In other words just small jobs.

Drywall compound is what you would need for a joint that will need joint tape and any job beyond a few small nail or screw holes.

Sheetrock DuraBond 45 (or any other number) is used when you have a joint that needs to be resistant to humidity. When dry this is very hard and difficult to sand. A bathroom is a good example of where this could be used. The number is the working time for the product after mixing is complete.

Plaster is good for plaster repair and is also very difficult to sand when dry. If you plan on using plaster I suggest you practice a lot first because it ain't easy to get it smooth without sanding.

There are many other products for special applications but drywall compound and Sheetrock Durabond 45 are my two choices for basically everything.

YMMV

Reply to
Gordon Shumway