Diff between a $20 and $100 1500W space heater

1500 w is 1500 w, some are made better and they heat differently but all 1500w heaters put out 1500watts of heat. Radiant quarts heaters dont heat the air they heat objects, which can be good and save if you are sitting watching tv all night and have the heater facing you from maybe 8 ft away. A convection oil filled heater mainly heats the rooms air, tungsten element heaters with a reflector put out a combination of radiant and convection heat. Try a 20$ unit with a decent warranty, you may need it. Ceramic disk are just nice and small

Jeez: What's happened to our high school physics? 1500 watts is 1500 watts (Or rougly 5000 BTUs of heat). What you or I do with it; warm room air without a fan, warm room air and blow it around with a fan, heat a saucepan, boil a kettle, switch on 15 100 watt light bulbs, etc. is our business. Do that continuously for one straight hour, here at our domestic electricity rates (your mileage may be different!) will cost us about 15 cents. On the other hand you could sit under a 1500 watt sun-lamp for a solid hour and burn off some of your epidermis for the same price! Sometimes called 'tanning'. Hence the old fashioned expression "Come here again and I'll tan your hide!". But I digress. If you use the 1500 watts in a Heat Pump (capital cost involved!) you may be able to pump 'several times' that amount of heat either into, or out of (An air cooling processcalled Air Conditioning) your dwelling! All depending on ambient conditions and equipment efficiencies at various temperatures. But 1500 watts is 1500 watts whichever way you use it. BTW a tropical fish aquarium may have a 15 watt heater. That's 100th of a 1500 watter. The aquarium warms up and then loses heat to the surriounding room air. So could install 100 tropical fish tanks each with a 15 watt heater and get the same amount of heat.

Good question.

No, it's roughly 5000 Btu PER HOUR of heat.
Nick
Mikepier wrote:

How often do you want to buy one?
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60 degreees to save bucks.
but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost her more.
electric heat is costlyt
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Not necessarily, no.
Depends on relative rates locally and how much space heating is used as opposed to central.
On the contrary, she might actually save noticeable amount or might break even.
Will all depend on the specifics of the given situation.
ANOTHER SEPERATE ISSUE, a friend said she will just use space heaters in limited areas, to keep the forced air gas furnace set at 60 degreees to save bucks.
but most likely because electric is so expensive it will actually cost her more.
electric heat is costlyt
Some places still have rates of 8 for electric while oil is $4+, narrowing the gap. It is not so much a Btu for Btu exchange, but if you can use 10,000 Btu of electric and not run a boiler or furnace burning 50,000 Btu heating unused space, there is a savings.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

At $3.85/gal for #2 oil in an 80% efficient furnace and $0.089/kw/hr in a 100% efficient electric heater, electric heating is only 3% more expensive. When this is viewed in light of your observation that with electric heaters only the area being used is heated, electric heat is the most cost effective by a wide margin. Of course for other energy source costs the conclusion will change.
Boden

I have a Holmes and a Duracraft, both came from Wal Mart for about $20+ each and have been going strong for 6 yrs now.

My advice is to get an all metal one with a thermostat and maybe a couple wattage settings. Plastic cased applicances scare me after a Patton brand heater had a bad electrical crimp connection. The connection failed and started the outer plastic case burning.
It was in my garage on the concrete floor so I don't know what would have happened had I not come out in the garage in time.
I have a portable "little red cube" 4000 watt heater that requires 240 volts. It cost around $115. and is built much better than the $40 consumer junk. It heats the place up quick but it is loud due to the air flow required.

Holmes or Duracraft. Both good products, inexpensive and last forever.
Mikepier wrote:

The difference is how ofter you want to buy one.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Well, my parents still have 4 Duracrafts that I bought them in '97 for $20 a piece that still work fine to this day. (And one of them rotates)
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 04:39:03 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

1500 watts is 1500 watts however, the 1500 watts of heat can be distributed in a focused area or distributed widely.
Read about radiant, convection, and forced are convection to determine your specific needs.
http://www.funskins.com/product-reviews/best-space-heaters.html