Did you know this about The Gas Company?

There is a logical reason for this. Pre meter is "line pressure" - which varies from quite low to reasonably high. Post meter is regulated pressure (very low).

Also, if someone of low integrity was allowed to shut off the gas before the meter, they COULD tap in ahead of the meter and use unmetered gas. Shutting off after the meter and tapping in, it is still metered (and paid for) gas.

Around here, there is no wire on the pre-meter valve, and the post-meter valves are generally "pre-appliance" - and inside the house.

Reply to
clare

The "official" tool is BRASS or BRONZE- spark proof on steel valve. If you have a brass valve, a steel wrench is fine. 99.999% of the time steel on steel is also OK.

Reply to
clare

I use an Allen wrench.

Reply to
Thunderstorm Norm

Interesting explanation. But here in NJ the arrangement is as you describe and the gas company, AFAIK, doesn't get their shorts in a knot if you shut all the gas off using the valve before the meter.

Reply to
trader4

The person complained about wrote his reply post B right after reading post A. But some of us red post A hours ago or yesterday, not

10 seconds ago We don't know what B is talking about. I reed a few posts, then go on to another newsgroup and reed and reply there, or do my email, or and often look up something on the web, and even if B was posted 10 minutes after A, I don't see it until hours later. Why doesn't A quote, like everyone else?.
Reply to
micky

Why would that be inherent to all news readers? I find it hard to believe, but if it is, then it's a good reason to use Google Groups, no such problems there. I see all the messages in a nice tree format.

=A0Later, much longer than 10

No such problems with Google Groups. Not saying you should use it, just that it seems a lot of folks here slam GG, yet it has some compelling advantages. Not sure this is one of them though,. It may be that you have a crappy client-based news reader.

Reply to
trader4

If I understand what you're saying, it appears you read a post and then reply to it hours or a day later without seeing what has been posted since? If that is the case, I would think you'd have a lot of problems with your operating method.

As for posts taking hours to show up, I use Google Groups and I see posts from various posters on this group showing up within a few minutes. I know because sometimes I'll post something and just a few minutes later someone else has replied. Sometimes we've exchanged several back and forths in less than an hour. It sounds like your ewgroup service just sucks, or your client isn't echanging with the server regularly, which could be a setting issue.

Reply to
trader4

GG has no redeeming features other than a long retention period, period... :)

Amongst other things, they are the source of a sizable majority of spam across all of usenet and their web-based client screws up a sizable fraction of its postings as they're broadcast by such things as inserting spurious linefeeds (altho that seems to have been patched to a certain degree recently it was so that any reply to an existing thread that was posted from GG for a while had an extra LF inserted at each line so that soon one might find a posting that had only one or sometimes even not actual text on a page).

Threading (or not) is dependent on the view chosen in most (if not all) clients...and, of course, on the server and the posting clients following protocol to allow it to not be broken...

--

Reply to
dpb

On 10/11/2012 8:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

Not everybody stays logged in continuously nor does everybody read every subthread of every thread...nor should you presume and write as if you're having a conversation w/ any one individual--there are any number of folks coming in/out of any thread at any time. It's a posters duty to ensure they all have the pertinent pieces at hand.

Therefore, quoting (and eliding) judiciously is only polite and good netiquette--there is absolutely _no_ guarantee anybody will see anything on usenet--nntp is inherently _not_ an error-free protocol--while messages aren't routinely dropped there's no guarantee they aren't and certainly propagation times are extremely variable altho again most are pretty good most of the time, the operative word there is "most"...

--

Reply to
dpb

Which is exactly what I was saying with regard to his apparent operating procedures. If one reads a thread and then replies hours or a day later without looking at what's transpired since, they are bound to have problems.

I agree.

Reply to
trader4

On 10/11/2012 8:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

No, I'm saying essentially the obverse--it's the initial (and subsequent as well, of course) poster's job to maintain enough context in his reply that the subthread can stand on its own w/o needing to go down every possible rabbit warren that may have grown up since...

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't see what you are saying as being the obverse. The poster is saying that he reads a post, then makes a reply to it hours to a day later. So, let's say everyone follows your procedure, to the extent that's possible, and includes much of the original post, pertinent replies, etc. If the OP's last read of the thread was yesterday, he's still going to have major problems, because he hasn't seen anything that has transpired since.

I agree it's a good idea to keep enough info in a post so that it makes it easy to follow, as you suggest. But if you read and then wait hours to a day to reply, that's a problem specific to the poster.

Reply to
trader4

On 10/11/2012 11:22 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote: ...

I think you're misinterpreting the complaint...he's replying to some particular posting in the subthread--what he was complaining about was that he may have read further upthread in the same thread some time previous but didn't respond at that time for whatever reason. Now he comes back later and picks up somewhere in a later portion but the previous poster hasn't quoted sufficiently to know context at this later date and so he either has to be able to recall previous discussion or go upthread and read other postings to find that context.

It's not so much the time that's the problem; it's that there's no longer context and that's because the previous poster trimmed too much (or didn't/doesn't quote at all I think in the complained-of case, actually)...

I browse newsgroups much as that as well...if context is gone I'll generally just kill the thread rather than digging it out unless there's something vitally interesting that makes it worthy of the effort. A few observations of a given poster acting that way soon generates another entry in the 'ignore thread' filter file (just as a particular top-poster here has been "soft-plonked" for his rudeness in persisting in that particular fault. :) )

--

Reply to
dpb

No, I didn't get it. :-(

I used to pronounce that word facetishus, in my head without ever speaking it, but then a guy in the 10th grade used it over and over again, and one day it dawned on me which word he was using.

Reply to
micky

That's not the problem. Often no one else has replied (especially when nothing was quoted) , or the replies don't explain what the guy who doesn't quote was talking about.

Yes, I forgot about that.

Reply to
micky

Exactly.

Right, notthing at all.

Exactly.

Yes,

And yes.

Reply to
micky

I was playing with the word "facetious" by adding "feces" to it. You'd be surprised how many folks don't catch it even with "sic" after the word. It's my way of saying I'm being silly and full of crap at the same time. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Check out a freeware bit called "TinySpell".

Reply to
HeyBub

I use WordWeb which can be found at:

WordWeb also has a definition of "sic" and a good explanation can be found here:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cute. Thanks for the information.

TinySpell and WordWeb do different things. TinySpell monitors your typing and goes nuts when you type a word that's not in its table. TinySpell doesn't define words, just checks spelling. It's a spelling chequer.

Reply to
HeyBub