Dewalt 18V battery repair hoax? (2023 Update)

A battery is made up of a number of cells (1.2volts each).Usually one or mo re cells fail, so I buy a number of "non-working batteries", put them on th e charger, then strip them apart and check the voltage of each cell. Mark a ll the ones which are significantly less than 1.2volts, (then scrap them),t hen make as many good batteries as you can from the good cells. HTH oldchadders

Reply to
oldchadders46

primecell.com does a excellent job, the new cells are higher capacity and the price is reasonable....

Reply to
bob haller

Maybe for some folks. I had 2 12V packs rebuilt by them and they both failed in less than 4 months. The Dewalt pack I bought to get me by while those were being rebuilt is still going strong 5 years later.

Reply to
Mike

did you call and report the premature failure? They shoulds of rebuilt the packs again for free

Reply to
bob haller

Not according to them.

Reply to
Mike

Thought I'd be slick an get a better deal by having all my 18v dewalt batte ries rebuilt. So I took them to batteries plus. Since I had severerl they q uoted me $46 per battery that's a few $'s cheaper than buying new ones. Ter rible luck with them. They provided a 6 month warranty & claimed the batter ies they used were far better. They were crap from the beginning. I thought maybe they would get better after being charged a few times. Not the case just worse. At about 5 months they really started getting bad. I took them back to the store & they put them on a tester an claimed they were ok. B.S. at 6 months their all dead!!

Reply to
drew.eadler222

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:19:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I've heard several complaints about Batteries+. Read more here

CRNG

To Drew,

Are you sure that the charger was working correctly????

Reply to
hrhofmann

I had a cheap $20 PREPAID cell phone that needed a battery. Batteries+ quoted me about $52 for the replacement battery. I told the guy I'll just buy another phone. But then I found a NEW battery on Ebay for $5.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Pays to shop around. Rebuilding makes sense for some batteries, but the price of new seems to be coming down. I have a Panasonic 15.6V drill. To rebuild, it is about $60 plus shipping. List price for new is $90, but I can buy new at $69 with shipping included.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seems that most of the Dewalt batteries are around $ 50 or more. For about $ 100 , maybe less on a big sell you can get a new drill, 2 batteries and charger. Not sure if the drill is as high a quality as the origional ones. For no more than I use one, the $ 100 special is fine for me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Two comments on this. I too, have several DeWalt tools. The 18V batteries started to go, so I saw the $99 special at Lowe's ... 2 batteries, a charger and a drill, to boot. Well, the batteries are not the real big XRP (I think that's what yellow calls them), however, they are lighter in weight, and that's a good thing as we age. Also, I think my old charger is possibly overcharging the batteries. If you leave the batteries on it for a long time, they will always be warm. The new charger, with the "free" drill, doesn't do that; once charged, they can sit on the charger and will be cool. So now I only use the old charger when I am traveling in the RV and I never leave the batteries on that charger.

Reply to
Art Todesco

I've not got any thing from em, but some on this list speak well of

as a service which rebuilds your batteries, and ships your batteries back with new nicad or NiMH cells.

Some Dewalts have a guarantee, you can bring them in and swap em out.

Sure your charger is working? If they all go dead at same time, could be the charger. Have a friend with same size batts? Ask your non offensive gender non specific party of the third part to put some of your batteries in his charger for you.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ME TOO eXACTLY THE SAME EXPERIENCE:(

Primecell.com has rebuilt a few of my battery packs they worked better than new, and have lasted forever:) well worth the money

Reply to
bob haller

The only time you can fix a battery without replacing any of its cells is when some cells have reversed in polarity, in which case you need to charge each of those cells individually, by applying current to one of those cells at a time, using a power supply (AC adapter that puts out DC will work) and a current limiting resistor. After a few minutes of charging each reversed cell this way, charge the whole battery the normal way.

A lot of times some individual cells have shorted internally, but those have to be replaced and cannot be fixed by zapping the shorts with high current, contrary to what some people claim. The shorts will grow back in a matter of a few days.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

I'm sure everyone was thrilled to see a grown man do something so wreckless and unresponsible. Hopefully no one was hurt during your childish display of manliness. 13 years later, would you do the same thing today, looking back?

Reply to
Bob666

Oh, give us a hint, what was reckless? Doubt the OP will answer 13 years later.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hello, you want you can try to search that info you can find it on this page

Praktyk 2